Help: lost network access

Status
Not open for further replies.

esamett

Patron
My system has been stable for months. It runs on fixed IP 192.168.0.193. I just noticed the other day that I couldn't find it on my network. I rebooted. I checked my network cable - it works with my laptop. I tried to set up with dhcp and I don't get a IP address at the bottom of the menu anymore via hardwired monitor. I tried two different adapters:
teg-pcitxr old PCI gigabit adapter doesnt seem to be recognized
a generic USB 100K adapter is recognized but the same problem as above.
Each adapter's LEDs flash normally when connected to my network.

1. Any ideas? hardware? corrupted build? System seems to boot up normally although I don't understand FreeBSD.
2. diagnosis/repair path? do I reset to default and restore config later? any other ideas?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Almost all 100Mb/s Ethernet drivers were removed from FreeNAS a year or so ago. The exceptions are Intel, because it's relatively popular for dedicated management interfaces and Realtek, because the driver's source code is hilarious. This might also affect some weirder GbE adapters.

gpsguy

For about $30 USD you can buy an OEM Intel Pro/1000 CT. That'll fix your problem.

melloa

Wizard
I tried to set up with dhcp and I don't get a IP address at the bottom of the menu anymore via hardwired monitor.

Quick question(s):

1 - Have you updated before the issue started (basing this question on @Ericloewe information above);
2 - What was the NIC you were using?

Each adapter's LEDs flash normally when connected to my network.

So there is "physical" connection between the NIC and the router/switch port.

do I reset to default and restore config later?

Depending on the answer for question 2 above, if you have updated and the problem started, might not be the solution.

a generic USB 100K adapter is recognized but the same problem as above.

Interesting ... I couldn't imagine FreeNAS would have support for this.

esamett

Patron
I tried an Intel gigabit NIC I had in another pc and had no luck. Strangely with the two NIC on board (realtek-motherboard) the network configuration menu did not ask if I wanted to try DHCP - which I remember was always asked. With that in mind I replaced my microSD OS chip with another one I had around and installed a new FreeNAS from the old CD I had lying around...I got my web access to FreeNAS back. I presume a bad microSD, power surge or problem with freenas recent build (unlikely). I uploaded a config file from 9.10 and the build is 9.10.1. My 9.10.1 config was too new. I couldnt get web access for updates from clean build without redoing setup. Will report back

Last edited:

esamett

Patron
I had to switch NIC back to the old motherboard (!!) My arrays are not on line but I am doing updates.

Fingers crossed.

esamett

Patron
It was an old config file so I had to import my new volume and delete the missing old one. I will probably have to redo my shares and stuff. My final diagnosis is bad system chip.

Anybody have any experience with the cheap new/used 16-32 gb ssds on newegg or ebay?

esamett

Patron
Can I - Should I - try to extract my settings file from my old microSD chip. Is it doable? Am I asking for trouble by extracting a potentially corrupted setup file? I am trying to recover my share settings.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
There config file should be backed up in your pool in the system dataset. Not sure how to get to it though.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

melloa

Wizard
Anybody have any experience with the cheap new/used 16-32 gb ssds on newegg or ebay?

Don't use cheap SSDs for my boots :)

Can I - Should I - try to extract my settings file from my old microSD chip.

If you can access it ... it should be this: /data/freenas-v1.db

For this and to annoying people when they ask why save the config daily, I do to my pool, so if the boot dies, I have copies inside of it. Safer? Probably...

Code:
#!/bin/bash
cdate=$(date +"%Y%m%d%H%M%S")
SRCEFILE=/data/freenas-v1.db
DESTDIR=/mnt/raid/cifs/configs
DESTFILE=${DESTDIR}/freenas-v1_$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S).db
cp ${SRCEFILE} ${DESTFILE}
touch /mnt/raid/scripts/cover.txt
# Write email header to temp file
(
  echo "To: <your_email>"
  echo "Subject: <YourNAS> Config file saved"
  echo " "
  echo ${DESTFILE}
) > /mnt/raid/scripts/cover.txt

# Send status email
sendmail -t < /mnt/raid/scripts/cover.txt
exit 0

It's ugly but works.

[]'s

EDIT: Weekly the /mnt/raid/cifs rsyncs to a 2nd FreeNAS ... so double the annoyance, triple protection.

Stux

MVP
Don't use cheap SSDs for my boots :)

If you can access it ... it should be this: /data/freenas-v1.db

For this and to annoying people when they ask why save the config daily, I do to my pool, so if the boot dies, I have copies inside of it. Safer? Probably...

Code:
#!/bin/bash
cdate=$(date +"%Y%m%d%H%M%S")
SRCEFILE=/data/freenas-v1.db
DESTDIR=/mnt/raid/cifs/configs
DESTFILE=${DESTDIR}/freenas-v1_$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S).db
cp ${SRCEFILE} ${DESTFILE}
touch /mnt/raid/scripts/cover.txt
# Write email header to temp file
(
  echo "To: <your_email>"
  echo "Subject: <YourNAS> Config file saved"
  echo " "
  echo ${DESTFILE}
) > /mnt/raid/scripts/cover.txt

# Send status email
sendmail -t < /mnt/raid/scripts/cover.txt
exit 0

It's ugly but works.

[]'s

EDIT: Weekly the /mnt/raid/cifs rsyncs to a 2nd FreeNAS ... so double the annoyance, triple protection.

I email a gzipped config to myself from each of my servers on a weekly basis. Means I don't even have to rely on the pool being available to get the config. Only uses a 50KB or so per week in my mail spools.

Status
Not open for further replies.