Media user's ID and GID

diedrichg

Wizard
TrueNAS 12.0-U1

I can't stand that iX made the decision to change the "media" user's ID and GID to 8675309. This really, really, really makes it a chore to align a jail's 'media' user to the system 'media' user! I tried pw usermod media -u 816 within TrueNAS but it was reset after reboot. How can I delete the built-in 'media' user, or at least permanently change the UID and GID for the built-in 'media' user?

diedrichg

Wizard
I'd love some iX feedback on this, please.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
WTH? I'm growing old. Since when are UIDs > 2^16-1 possible?

Seriously: create a "mymedia" user on the NAS with the UID identical to the one inside your jails and use that one ... the names of users are completely irrelevant to the system. It's the UIDs that count.

diedrichg

Wizard
Unknown. I even flashed a fresh 12.0-U1 last week and the media user still showed up as 8675309 (yes, as in the song). I believe this magically changed somewhere between 9.3 and 11.x

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Again: create a user with a different name on your NAS but with the same UID as the "media" user inside the jail, and use one inside and the other one on the outside. It's only the numerical UIDs that need to match, not the names.

diedrichg

Wizard