Change "media" user UID (and duplicate "media" group?)

fracai

Guru
I'd like to change the UID and GID of the "media" user. I have a few other machines on the local network with a media user and I'd like them all to match.

I see that the UID can't be changed from the web UI and I looked in to using a middleware command, but that was denied as well.
sudo midclt call user.update 32 '{"uid": "63342"}'

I'm fully willing to get in to the weeds on this if it requires modifying a database (the account_bsdusers and account_bsdgroups tables in /data/freenas-v1.db?)
Actually, looking at that database and the web UI, I have two "media" groups. I believe I did create my own media group before that was created by FreeNAS. So it looks like I have one with the original GID and one with the TrueNAS GID. I wonder if that is an issue on it's own...

Thanks for any help.

fracai

Guru
I have essentially achieved what I want by creating a duplicate "media" user. I had to modify the freenas-v1.db to get the correct username (I know that's far from ideal).
I also opened a ticket as, regardless of my hacked solution, the duplicate user/group isn't a good situation and not something that I originally hacked in to place.

TN68

Dabbler
I'm also confused why there is a default media user... i had "media" as a generic user accross android/PC users no household devices to access non critical stuff on my qnap NAS... any resolutions/changes/updates on the duplicate user?

It looks like one silly hack was to just a new user with capital M.... Media....... and that works around the duplicate conflict?
Capitol M did not work... just have Mediax for now, that worked.

Last edited: