mariadb/mysql won't start on TrueNAS 12.2

RandomBloke85

Dabbler
Patrick, your strategy worked like a charm - absolutely wonderful. I can't thank you enough. Everything is running fine again with no data loss.

Yes, Redis is installed and enabled. Many other users have the same problem, there is already a ticket on github. Maybe I dive into this sometime, but it could be as well a simple bug.

So thanks again and this time I'll learn about snaps... :wink:

RandomBloke85

Dabbler
After all, a couple of days later, I did find a small problem:

I created the users and assigned them to the group "family". When I go into users in Nextcloud, I see myself in the Admin group, the others in the family group, but when I click on "Everyone" it results in a error message. Did I a mistake I made somewhere caused this error?

Please note: I'm completly aware of the fact, that this is not the Nextcloud forum. I just wanted to rule out the possibilty, that my not so textbook installation and creation of users has something to do with this error. It might as well just be a NC 22.2.0.2 error.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
The "occ thing" does have a "check database consistency" command, IIRC - I'd try that first.

RandomBloke85

Dabbler
Alright, thank you, but I don't know how to do that. I just created the user "Test" and it won't show anywhere. It is created in /mnt/data, but not visible in the user admin panel.

Last edited:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
su -m www -c "/usr/local/bin/php /usr/local/www/nextcloud/occ" will list all commands the "occ" tool supports.

RandomBloke85

Dabbler
Ha! Fixed it! :smile: Again, thanks to you Patrick.

After checking the logs with awful lot of utf8mb4 charset related errors, I ran occ db:convert-mysql-charset. That worked for me. So everything is running fine now.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
That should have been shown in the admin section of the web UI. You probably want to check again if more conversions are missing. Normaly it tells you the exact occ subcommand to run.

RandomBloke85

Dabbler
I didn't know that of course. I've checked the admin settings but couldn't find anything pointing to any missing conversions. Where would such a message be located? In case you refer to the system generated report in support/system information, there is nothing of relevance there.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Settings > Administration > Overview.

If anything like occ db:convert-mysql-charset needs to be done Nextcloud should be telling you in this dialog:
Bildschirmfoto 2021-11-10 um 19.02.15.png

So instead of "All checks passed" it should say "you need to convert some database tables to ..." or "some indexes are missing, you can add them by running `occ foo` ..."

RandomBloke85

Dabbler
That was "all clear" all the time and didn't show the utf8mb4-issue. But you're right, if something is wrong, it shows up there. But I've learned again from you, so danke und schönen Abend :smile: