Manually adding a Mini PCI-Express Ethernet Card to TrueNAS core

shiro9986

Cadet
I have successfully installed TrueNAS Version 13. Still will not recognize my NIC. I will probably have to add it manually from a USB stick thru the shell interface.

The NIC that I purchased is this one
link..... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B094YY6KX6?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

It Amazon listing says it will work with Linux. The little CD that came with it has four Linux directories as follows (1) FreeBSD 7.x and 8.0 (2) Kernel 2.4.x (x86 and x64) (3) Kernel up to 5.19 (4) SCO Unix 5.0.6 and 5.0.7. It also has WIndows drivers on it. I am sure that if I install Windows 10, that it would work. I really don't want that, I really need TrueNAS running on this PC.

I don't know which option to pick from (1-4)? The FreeBSD has a TGZ archive file called rtl_bsd_drv_v197.00.tgz
Is this the one that I need to use to manually install the drivers? I really don't know. Still a nube at this.

Also, if this file or another one (TGZ file) is the one that I want, I still need some help at the command line level to install the driver.

The lights on the PCI Mini Slot NIC are blinking as normal, just the TrueNAS installation doesn't see it!

Here is the PC Type.

ASUS Desktop M32BF K30BF Series
AMD A10-6700 CPU
12.0 GB RAM
X64 bit processor

The motherboard has only 1 PCIe slot. It is being used for SATA drives. It has 1 Mini-PCI slot, that is what I am using to connect to the LAN.
The motherboard NIC is damaged and cannot be used. I have three options (1) use the PCI Mini Express slot, (2) remove the SATA drives and use the 1 PCIe slot, or add a USB NIC. Option 1 is what I really want to do.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance for any help!

P.S. I have already install TrueNAS version 13 on two other PC's with no issues!

somethingweird

Contributor
my suggestion is not to use that NIC. Why -

1. because every time you upgrade truenas CORE - you'll have to reinstall the drivers (if you can get the drivers working) - real hassle to every time you upgrade.

2. it a realtek NIC - you're going to get subpar performance and possible issues with networking.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Oh god, instead of using Cat. 6 (or hell, not even Cat. 3) to extend from the PCB to the jack, they used a cheap-ass .1 inch pin header! That's the metaphorical NIC from wish.com. And of course, the controller is a Realtek part, presumably an RTL8125.

oxyde

Contributor
I was in your same situation, got to replace integrated Realtek NIC due to system instability/reboot... And i got advise to avoid Realtek NIC and 2.5gbps... so i have buy and Intel I210AT based NIC resolving every problemi. Maybe this Will be helpful for you