Manual S.M.A.R.T. test "stuck" at 99% (aka: the TrueNAS GUI is lying!) :angry face:

smart-never-ends.jpg

TrueNAS CORE 12.0-U8, Task Manager claims smart.test.wait is indefinitely stuck at 99%

This seems to only happen with manually invoked S.M.A.R.T. tests. The Task Manager will display a running smart.test.wait that is stuck indefinitely at 99%.

I can confirm with smartctl -a /dev/xyz that the test indeed finished in two minutes with no errors. However, the Task Manager GUI claims the test is still running, currently at 99%. :oops: It's been like this, even almost 30 minutes after completion.

I've tried:
  • Logging out and logging back in
  • Different web browsers
  • Clearing the cache

I don't recall this happening with TrueNAS Core 12.0-U7 or earlier, and it never happens with the automatic scheduled short self-tests.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Is there a way to safely "refresh" or "clear" the middleware's Task Manager?

Looks like middlewared still has its quirks. :confused:

✅ Restarting the middlewared service from an SSH connection fixed the issue:
service middlewared restart

Last edited:

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
This seems like a good bug report to file then, along with a debug when it's in this state so we can track down what's failing.

Bug report filed. PM'd you.

GentleFly

Cadet
TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02-RC.2

I also have this problem.

With S.M.A.R.T. Long version

Last edited by a moderator:

mkarwin

Dabbler
The issue persists on Scale 22.02.0.1 (release) as well.

ScaleyNas

Dabbler
The issue persists on Scale 22.02.0.1 (release) as well.
Yep. Same for me. Very frustrating since I need to troubleshoot a supposed degraded drive but the drive reports as fine when used in other machines.

Wonder why my bug report was marked as a "duplicate" when it was posted before the other report? :tongue: