macOS Ventura TimeMachine ignores quota

fillg1

Dabbler
Hi folks
I'm using the multiuser Timemachine setup in TrueNAS-13.0-U3.1, so I created a dedicated ZFS dataset called TimeMachine and two new accounts for my two MacBooks and set a specific userquota of eg. 1TB for each user on this dataset. This worked fine until I upgraded one the the Macs to Ventura, now It seems that the userquota is ignored. When the TM backup starts it displays an available space of eg. 850GB which is exactly the complete free space for the TimeMachine dataset, but not with respect to the quota. When I remove this TM share from the Mac and add it back again the available space is displayed correctly as 250GB but as soon as the first incremental backup is finished it is back to 850GB. The other macBook still running Monterey does not have this issue.
Any idea whats going wrong here?

zebekias

Dabbler
If I recall correctly from when I was initially playing with TM shares, quotas did not work. But putting in the aux params for the TM smb share something like this

fruit:time machine max size=3T

works as expected. This is verbatim from my notes:

don't do multiuser timemachine (make sure path suffix is empty on for the TM smb share)
when creating the share, use 'No presets', and make sure Time Machine is checked.

make sure the aux params for the TM smb share have: fruit:time machine max size=3T
where 3T is the size you wish the TM drive has

fillg1

Dabbler
The multiuser timemachine setup worked fine for me in the last time, so maybe i'll wait for the next TrueNAS update end of february before changing things

fillg1

Dabbler
Now I switched back to standard timemachine SMB shares and used this fruit:time machine max size=1T parameter, this seems to work for my Monterey MacBookPro but not for Ventura. TimeMachine displays 0kb available, but the backup starts and finishes successful.

zebekias

Dabbler
Now I switched back to standard timemachine SMB shares and used this fruit:time machine max size=1T parameter, this seems to work for my Monterey MacBookPro but not for Ventura. TimeMachine displays 0kb available, but the backup starts and finishes successful.
I just got my new M2 Mac mini with Ventura and have not yet set it up for TimeMachine backups. I will let you know if it works (or not) for me.

zebekias

Dabbler
I am not sure why it's not working for you, I am on a Mac Mini 2023 (M2 Pro CPU) running Ventura, and I did my usual Time Machine setup. Here is the screenshot of the Time Machine smb share:

1678825612144.png

and as you can see below MacOS sees the 3T drive just fine.
1678825434849.png

Last edited:

fillg1

Dabbler
Hi zebekias
Thank for your test.
Correct me, if I am wrong, but shouldn’t the available space be less than 3T, since your first backup should already occupy some space?

zebekias

Dabbler
Hi zebekias
Thank for your test.
Correct me, if I am wrong, but shouldn’t the available space be less than 3T, since your first backup should already occupy some space?
You are correct, although I put a cap of 3T, MacOS sees it as a 3.3T drive - I am not sure why, but whatever, it's close enough :)

Etorix

Wizard
That's tebibytes (2^40, TiB) vs. terabytes (10^12, TB).