MacOS Monterey as VM on TrueNAS Scale

Stux

MVP
Host CPU is Intel Xeon L5640, and I'm trying to get Monterey to be installed.

That is a Westmere CPU

Core -> Penryn -> Nehalem -> Westmere -> Sandy Bridge -> Ivy Bridge -> Haswell -> Broadwell -> Skylake... and then the tick tock cycle broke

So, make sure you're not flagging it as Haswell!

Westmere was used in the pre-cylindrical Mac Pros

Anyway, it looks like "Westmere" is a valid cpu model, and matches yours

https://manpages.debian.org/testing/qemu-system-common/qemu-cpu-models.7.en.html"

Westmere, Westmere-IBRS
Westmere E56xx/L56xx/X56xx (Nehalem-C, 2010)/

troonas

Dabbler
I recently decided to pass a real GPU to my Ventura VM (AMD RX 570). Just works right out of the box when passing through to the VM... kind of :smile:

So the video component of the GPU works perfectly and with Metal 2 support (had to disable REBAR and >4G allocation or w/e in the host's BIOS to get it stable and not sometimes hang on the Apple boot logo). However, the HDMI audio is non-existent. I believe the issue is that those are two functions of the same PCI bus. The TrueNAS VM device UI only lets you pass them in as two separate devices, unlike Proxmox which lets you pass them together as a "multifunctional" device. Linux and Windows don't seem to care when you do that and everything works fine.

macOS however doesn't recognize seem to recognize the HDMI audio device if it's on a different (virtual) PCI bus, as I found here. I tried properly adding the multifunctional device manually in VM's qemu config args via the TrueNAS CLI, but it looks like they don't get initialized properly (TrueNAS does some `virsh` initialization behind the scenes before qemu takes over).

Has anyone found a workaround for this? If not, I was going to dig into the vm middleware Python code and see if I can properly add the ability to pass through multifunctional devices like proxmox has.