Mac Os SMB Share Officials settings FreeNAS-11.3-U4.1

Nicolas_Studiokgb

Contributor
Hello Everybody

I'm new to FreeNas And happy to get in the train :)
I run a post production facility in Paris.
I'm working on replacing some Server of ours by FreeNas Servers. So I'm running some tests.
We mainly work with Macs here so Most of my setup must be Mac Os compliant.
We actually have some Win2008/ExtremZip AFP server wich is fine but as you know AFP is on its end of life.

My Setup :
Server Freenas 11.3-U4.1 : MacPro 4.1 8x2,26 / 16Gb Ram - system SSD / Pool 3x2TB HDD+vdevlog 1tb SSD
Station MacOs 10.14.6 Macpro 5.1 8x3,46 / 32Gb Ram System and Data SSD
Station PC Laptop Lenovo X1
Gigabit Wired Switch

Data test : File Copy with Explorer(Win10) or Finder(Mojave). 105GB of Wav Sound Files (20folder / 1200 files total)

I've done some testing for a few days but I was wondering if there were somewhere an "official" setup guide for SMB for Mac Os Sharing. (Free Nas Smb share and Smb service settings / Mac Os settings)
Because on my setup sharing to and from FreeNas with a Win10 PC is really fast (Full Gigabit bandwith) but from the MacPro station (Mojave) It's more about half Gigabit speed.
So i've tried many options I've found over the forum or internet Finaly found something but it's more of luck than knowledge I would say.
All the nsmb.conf modification or "net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=0" on the Mac side doesn't change anything to result. Still Half Gigabit perf.

FreeNas Default settings plus :
In SMB Share :
VFS Objects :
Catia, fruit, ixnas, streams_xattr, zfs_space, zfsacl
and in SMB Service Auxilliary Parameter :
strict sync = no

And this last setting change the game about speed with Mac.

Speed test : As you can see in the graph below Mac left PC right - Writing on Freenas. PC Nearly full speed. Mac More HalfSpeed

1596815535786.png

On the second graph with "strict sync = no" we get really better result. (Right Block of the graph)

1596815505442.png

Now I Wonder why the Mac slow down after about 64GB of copy (in both graph) But not the PC (first graph right)

Here we are.

So if there is a real Setup guide It would be really cool.
Also : does anybody know if there are some change/improvement in SMB for Mac in V12 (TrueNas Core)

Thanks a lot for your Help.
Nicolas