marcouan

Dabbler
Hello all

Need help with my new LSI 9300-16i hba.
My TrueNas build:
Dell poweredge T330 Xeon 1220 V5
64gb ecc ram
8x1tb hdd 7200 sata
8x500gb commodity SSDs in 2 x4 icy dock cage.
Adaptec ASR 71605 1GB 16Port HBA RAID PCIe in IT mode.
2x10gbs sfp+
Everything was working great but after reading through the forum I decided to buy an LSI 9300-16i hba.
Now with the new LSI adapter some of my SSDs will not get picked up during boot
Usually I,m missing 2 ssds.

I also noticed that during boot the LEDs for 1 SSD cage will not come up until TrueNas boots up

Any ideas what is wrong here.
Is the adapter faulty

marcouan

Dabbler
Hello Again

Update: my SSDs are 4 500gb kingston and 4 500 crucial mx SSDs.

The crucial SSDs are the ones that allways fail to light up during boot.

I mixed the drives 2 Kingston and 2 crucial in same enclosure.

It’s clear that for some reason my lsi card doesn’t like the crucial SSDs

Any ideas why?

NugentS

MVP
I used Crucial MX500's on an LSI without many issues. It doesn't help, but they do work

marcouan

Dabbler
Well I manage to update the LSI-930016i FW after reading through the forums.
Things look much better. Rebooted and power off/on the server several times and all disks come online in TrueNas.

Very long boot times but no worries.

Funny thing is that the crucial Mx SSDs will only light up after TrueNas initial boot.

Thanks for the reply

Bubbagump210

Cadet
Well I manage to update the LSI-930016i FW after reading through the forums.
Things look much better. Rebooted and power off/on the server several times and all disks come online in TrueNas.

Very long boot times but no worries.

Funny thing is that the crucial Mx SSDs will only light up after TrueNas initial boot.

Thanks for the reply
Did you have to do anything special to get the machine to recognize the 9300-16i? I have a Dell T340 and for the life of me can’t get the system to recognize the card, show it in POST etc. Sorry to dig this old thread up, but it’s the only reference of anyone using a 9300-16i successfully on a Dell server.

Whattteva

Wizard
Did you have to do anything special to get the machine to recognize the 9300-16i? I have a Dell T340 and for the life of me can’t get the system to recognize the card, show it in POST etc. Sorry to dig this old thread up, but it’s the only reference of anyone using a 9300-16i successfully on a Dell server.
Maybe disable the OPROM. That's what happened to me when I tried to use HPE HBA on some non-HP boards. It locks up the system during POST.