LSI 9220-8i

Status
Not open for further replies.

LONNIE137

Cadet
#1.I got a card in the mail today and it says LSI 9211-8i so do i still use the SAS2 flash, #2. at present i am using windows cifs share, when i flash the card will i lose all the data i have on my drives

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi LONNIE137,

First thing you ought to do is pop the card into a system, boot it up & get into the controller BIOS. Odds are it's got the "IR" firmware, so you are going to want to flash it.

How you have your pool shared out doesn't really matter, what matters is how the drives are currently connected. If you are using "plain old SATA ports" on the motherboard then you should be able to move the drives over to the new controller and boot right on up. If you are using something less mainstream, like a hardware RAID card that passes the drive through as individual RAID-0 arrays things get much more complicated.

Be sure you have the right cables.....if the drives simply don't show up don't panic! The SFF-8087-to-SATA cables come in two flavors depending on what you are connecting to so using the wrong cable looks like a complete failure of the card (same thing that happens with crossover vs. regular network cables).

-Will

LONNIE137

Cadet
Hi LONNIE137,

First thing you ought to do is pop the card into a system, boot it up & get into the controller BIOS. Odds are it's got the "IR" firmware, so you are going to want to flash it.

How you have your pool shared out doesn't really matter, what matters is how the drives are currently connected. If you are using "plain old SATA ports" on the motherboard then you should be able to move the drives over to the new controller and boot right on up. If you are using something less mainstream, like a hardware RAID card that passes the drive through as individual RAID-0 arrays things get much more complicated.

Be sure you have the right cables.....if the drives simply don't show up don't panic! The SFF-8087-to-SATA cables come in two flavors depending on what you are connecting to so using the wrong cable looks like a complete failure of the card (same thing that happens with crossover vs. regular network cables).

-Will
I put the card in the slot after getting the # from the card reboot the computer and get to the area where it gives me 2 options <ctrl> <h> web-bios or <ctrl> <y> reboot, i chose web-bios and thats where i am lost..... whats next i don't see anything about flashing. I booted up from the usb drive after making it dos boot-able, i see it say i am surpose to type"Type in the following exactly:

megarec -writesbr 0 sbrempty.bin
megarec -cleanflash 0
<reboot, back to USB stick>
sas2flsh -o -f 2118ir.bin -b mptsas2.rom
sas2flsh -o -sasadd 500605b0xxxxxxxx (x= numbers for SAS address)
<reboot>
Done!

My problem is where do i type those lines.

ok i am at the c:\ where i type
"Type in the following exactly:
megarec -writesbr 0 sbrempty.bin
megarec -cleanflash 0
<reboot, back to USB stick>
sas2flsh -o -f 2118ir.bin -b mptsas2.rom
sas2flsh -o -sasadd 500605b0xxxxxxxx (x= numbers for SAS address)
<reboot> but i am getting an message saying "Commandline longer than 125 characters"
Done!

survive

Behold the Wumpus
re-read the flashing guide.

You flash the card from a DOS boot disk.

Protip: find the smallest USB key you got and make it a DOS boot key using these instructions: http://www.bay-wolf.com/usbmemstick.htm

-Will

Status
Not open for further replies.