Help with RAID controller please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max Hughes

Dabbler
I'm setting up my first FreeNAS build and need some advice.
I have a HighPoint RocketRAID 2720 which currently has 4 drives setup in RAID 5. Its on a machine which is currently running windows 7 but I want to move it over to FreeNAS after hearing great things about it.

The problem I have is that I've read a lot on here from people such as cyberjock saying to avoid the RocketRAID as you can get it working but then you might suddenly lose your entire pool if you do.

The post I'm referring to is about 12 months old and I was wondering if this was still the case or if things have improved. The FreeNAS manual says to check the FreeBSD hardware comparability list and the RocketRAID 2720 is on the list of supported hardware. Also the I found a whole list of FreeBSD drivers on the HighPoint website. Is all this just recent updates or has it always been there and its just not a recommended option?

Secondly, If I do need to buy a new card I'm a bit confused about the recommended M1015.
Is the IBM ServerRAID M1015 the same thing as the LSI 9220-8i?
Am I right in saying that we then flash this card to IT mode by loading the LSI 9211-8i firmware on it. If so why don't people just buy the LSI 9211-8i to start with?
Also, can you also use the LSI 9220 and flash this to the 9211 as it appears to be almost the same card?

I'm just trying to find what other recommended options there are because I'm finding it difficult to find the M1015.

My build once its done will be on the Supermicro X8SLI-F with a quad core Xeon (I already have these parts). It currently has 4GB of RAM but as soon as I can find compatible RAM for the board I will be adding another 16GB, or going for 32GB and binning the 4GB that's already in the board.

Thanks

The rocketraid is junk, it's cheap and cheap doesn't equate with quality. Second off it is a RAID ONLY card, leave it in a windows computer if you want but DO NOT EVEN ATTEMPT to use it in FreeNAS. The warnings are all over and no matter what some company says about support that does not mean it will work right.

The reason why a lot of people use the IBM HBA's is that they can often be found cheaper than the actual LSI part. They are both compatible and work the same way as well as have the same quality, while we do stress quality it's one thing to save 20 to 30 bucks on a part that a lot of others have used successfully compared to buying something that costs 20 or 30 bucks and everyone knows is just a ticking time bomb with your data.

The main thing we are looking for in the SAS cards is the LSI SAS2008 chip and the ability to be run in IT mode. There are newer versions but they don't add much of anything as far as it matters to most of us here. A spinning disk will still be the slowest part of the system so unless you have the money to spring for a bunch of SSD's this won't matter and even then will be of small consequence.

The board you have should be fine but you will want the ram upgrade for sure and make sure you have a good PSU for it. Don't use the sparkle you have sitting in a closet even though it's already on hand.

Fuganater

Patron
His statement is still true. Go ahead and put that RocketRAID card in your spare pile, you should defiantly not use it for FreeNAS. I recommended just buying a LSI 9211-8i which you can get on Ebay for around $90. flash it to IT mode and you are good to go.

solarisguy

Guru
His statement is still true. Go ahead and put that RocketRAID card in your spare pile, you should defiantly not use it for FreeNAS. I recommended just buying a LSI 9211-8i which you can get on Ebay for around $90. flash it to IT mode and you are good to go.
Or search A*n.com for a new 9211-8i (there some inexpensive models), if buying used gear gives you goosebumps.

P.S.
Just in case, you may want to consult your choice here before committing to it...

Status
Not open for further replies.