Lost access to ownCloud after an IP error

Status
Not open for further replies.

NightHawk.ATL

Dabbler
I was working on a secondary pfSense machine and I gave the second one a dedicated static in my main pfSense box that was the same as the ownCloud jail IP address (just because I was up late and totally forgot about the devices on the network). I had noticed that none of my transfers over Rsync were working this morning and didn't discover what the issue was until after I got home from running errands late today.

Long story short, ownCloud was set to use 10.0.1.2 and I set my second pfSense to have a dedicated static of 10.0.1.2. I have since shut down and even unplugged the new pfSense box from ethernet and power. I can ping 10.0.1.2 and get a response in Apple Terminal (shows response from 10.0.1.95 [FreeNAS IP]) and in the FreeNAS shell but 10.0.1.2 does not show up in the ARP table in my active pfSense box even after I got rid of the dedicated static setting.

I have rebooted my FreeNAS machine, restarted the ownCloud jail service from within the gui and from the shell of the jail, rebooted my pfSense box and I still cant get access to my ownCloud from within my local network.

Any help would be appreciated. If you need more info from me, please ask and I will get it to you as soon as I can. Thanks in advance!

D

Deleted47050

Is DNS provided by your pfSense box? Can you ping 10.0.1.2 from it and what do you get in response?

NightHawk.ATL

Dabbler
Yes, my pfSense is providing DNS and here is the ping output:

Results
PING 10.0.1.2 (10.0.1.2): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 10.0.1.95: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=0.240 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.95: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.087 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.95: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.087 ms

--- 10.0.1.2 ping statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 3 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 0.087/0.138/0.240/0.072 ms

D

Deleted47050

That's screwed up if it's returning your freenas IP instead of your jail IP.

Try restarting the DNS service on pfSense and/or flushing its DNS cache (sorry I'm on mobile, can't look it up).

If you want to make sure the problem is indeed related to this, try adding an entry to your hosts file on your computer with IP address 10.0.1.2 and see if you can access ownCloud using this hostname so you skip your DNS server entirely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NightHawk.ATL

Dabbler
Done, Done and Done and still no access.in the hosts file, I just added

#FreeNAS and ownCloud
10.0.1.2:x443(can't give out all the secrets)

After restarting the DNS and flushing the cache, I tried a ping from pfSense and it still returns replies from my FreeNAS machine.

D

Deleted47050

If this is an extract of your hosts file, I am not surprised. If you are on Mac or Linux, your hosts file is under /etc/hosts, and your ownCloud entry should look like this:

##
# Host Database
#
# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting. Do not change this entry.
##
127.0.0.1 localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1 localhost
10.0.1.2 owncloud

Now try running

ping owncloud

from your client. It should return the correct IP address and you should be able to connect to the Web GUI.

If you are on Windows instead, your hosts file is under C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts

NightHawk.ATL

Dabbler
I just didn't think that all the other info in my hosts file was pertinent to this discussion. I added the entry and ran a ping and it still shows as 10.0.1.95. pinging "owncloud" returns nothing.

D

Deleted47050

Sorry, I wanted to make sure you didn't just add an IP address to your hosts file, and that you also included a hostname there.

Anyway, I don't know what to think. The hosts file has precedence over any other DNS entry, so if even by pinging owncloud from your machine where you edited the hosts file returns the wrong IP, there is something so wrong on this system that I wouldn't know where to begin.

NightHawk.ATL

Dabbler
yeah, I'm just gonna give up and put all my drives back in an enclosure and deal with my data spread out all over 6-8 drives that are connected USB 3.0 to my Mac Mini. I can't be down any longer because I have a shoot that I need to be ready to edit afterwards.

D

Deleted47050

Sure. For what it's worth, this thing will keep impacting you even if you remove FreeNAS from your environment, since it's a network issues. Just in case this happens again in the future.

When this happened to me in the past, clearing the DNS cache always solved this. Not sure why is not working for you.

NightHawk.ATL

Dabbler
Everything else on my network works so I'll just know not to use 10.0.1.2 for anything. I've had so many issue trying not to spend any money by using open source software that I am just gonna wait and buy a nice 8 bay thunderbolt enclosure to house all my drives and run a RAID setup local to my Mac and be done with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.