BUILD looking for feedback on parts list

Status
Not open for further replies.

zanderover

Cadet
Like the title suggest, i'm picking the parts for my new freenas build. The aim of the system is quite basic. Is should back up the files on my laptop and PC, and should be able to stream plex to my TV.

At the moment i don't have a lot of data, so a 3TB disk will be sufficient to backup my PC, phones and laptop. Should these computers run out of diskspace, I would like to be able to upgrade the nas with additional disks in raid mode (i know this requires a wipe of the disk).

So here's the list.
  • Case: Fractal Node 304 (MITX, 6 bays)
  • MB: Asrock rack E3C226D2I (soc1150, 6x sata, usb on the MB, intel NIC, max 16GB ram)
  • CPU: core i3 4160
  • PSU: Seasonic S12II 520W
  • HDD: WD Red 3TB
  • Kingston or Crucial 2x8GB ECC, unregistred DDR3, 1600.
With regards to the PSU, I think that 520W is most likely a bit to much for this build, so your alternative suggestions are very welcome (PSU with 6x sata, max 16 cm in dept, non modular).

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Should these computers run out of diskspace, I would like to be able to upgrade the nas with additional disks in raid mode (i know this requires a wipe of the disk).
The board has six SATA ports, so for just three disks to begin with, it's (PSU) not terrible to start with...
My suggestion, look for something rated GOLD that will fit your case, it will save on the power bill.
Gaining more space from the original three disk install, would simply be a
matter of adding a second Vdev of three 3TB disks, no wiping required...
OR just replacing each disk in the pool with a larger capacity one, once all
the disks are replaced, your pool grows to the larger size (see the manual for directions).

danb35

Hall of Famer
At the moment i don't have a lot of data, so a 3TB disk will be sufficient to backup my PC, phones and laptop. Should these computers run out of diskspace, I would like to be able to upgrade the nas with additional disks in raid mode (i know this requires a wipe of the disk).
Consider using two disks and setting up a mirror. If/when you run out of space, you can add additional pairs of disks, retain redundancy, and not have to wipe your existing drives. Granted, it isn't as space-efficient as, say, a six-disk RAIDZ2 pool, but it gives you redundancy right away, and easy growth.

Status
Not open for further replies.