Looking for best practices for Backup to External USB Drive

GJSchaller

Contributor
I'm happily running TrueNAS-13.0-U3.1, with a dedicated External USB drive next to it for local backups (in the event a hardware failure trashes the disks, I have the external backup). So far, so good.

Having been through a house fire once, I also want to keep an offsite backup. I already have a second external drive in my possession (from a previous ReadyNAS) that I would like to back up to, and then take the disk to a remote location (my desk at work), so if there's an issue at home I have a copy of my data offsite I can bring home and recover.

Obviously, this offsite backup should be encrypted, and I'd occasionally bring it home to update it (once a month). While I realize I could simply back up online, there are two challenges: 1) The cost (I own this hardware already, why not use it), and 2) My ISP is awful and there's no competition where I live.

What's the best way to plan / configure a backup task, and how should I format / prepare the offsite drive? What steps would I take to connect, back up, disconnect, and reconnect the drive? Is there an App or similar to help automate this?

I did give this a shot before posting, but when I tried to encrypt the target drive, I got an error that the Replication task could not write to it because it was encrypted. When I re-pooled it as unencrypted, and then tried to encrypt as a part of the replication task, I got an error that the target pool was already present, and not encrypted... it seems like a Catch-22, unless I am missing something.

Thank you for your help and guidance!

Arwen

MVP
I wrote a Resource on backing up to local, and removable, disk(s):
It is not perfect, just to give someone ideas.

Using command line & RSync you can probably use ZFS native encryption on the removable drive.