Backup to external drive

zierbeek

Explorer
Hi all, to finalise my 3-2-1 backup, I want to create a backup to an external harddrive. The server is running Truenas as OS.

I would want to do this only for my images and my vm (the hard drive is only 1tb).

What should I use? Duplicate doesn't have the possibility to clone to an external drive.
I checked the resources but It all seemed pretty old and not that relevant anymore.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I checked the resources but It all seemed pretty old and not that relevant anymore.
I think this one still seems relevant:

zierbeek

Explorer
I think this one still seems relevant:
Thanks but would make use of replication, would that be fine too?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
ZFS replication via snapshots is incremental, checksums everything, and is simply the best method.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Yes, sure. A replication of a dataset contains exactly the same data as the original dataset at the point of time when the last replicated snapshot was taken.

zierbeek

Explorer
Yes, sure. A replication of a dataset contains exactly the same data as the original dataset at the point of time when the last replicated snapshot was taken.
And as such it has the same size?

A best practice to leave it attached or just regularly make a backup of it. not much changes since it are photos and my vm

sretalla