Log filled with failed fruit!

statalently

Dabbler
Hi there,
My /var/log/messages are getting filled with lines such as:
Code:
Dec  5 17:02:24 freenas-wk smbd[90792]: [2019/12/05 17:02:24.715914,  0] ../source3/modules/vfs_fruit.c:4233(fruit_pread_meta_stream)
Dec  5 17:02:24 freenas-wk smbd[90792]:   fruit_pread_meta_stream: Removing [<filename>:AFP_AfpInfo] after short read [0]
Dec  5 17:02:24 freenas-wk smbd[90792]: [2019/12/05 17:02:24.716003,  0] ../source3/modules/vfs_fruit.c:4237(fruit_pread_meta_stream)
Dec  5 17:02:24 freenas-wk smbd[90792]:   fruit_pread_meta_stream: Removing [<filename>:AFP_AfpInfo] failed
(I replaced the file name with <filename>)

Does anyone know what the problem is?

SMB Share settings
VFS Objects:
catia, fruit, streams_xatttr, zfs_space, zfsacl

Auxiliary Parameters:
case sensitive = true
strict sync = no

SMB Service Auxiliary Parameters
strict sync = no

Thanks for any help!

statalently

Dabbler
I was not, I'm just directing all these messages to their own set of log files. It can be 10MB a day and I haven't found any information online. Is there anywhere else I can go for help?
Thank you.

artlessknave

Wizard
I have nothing to contribute other than that is one of the best post titles ever.

statalently

Dabbler
Thanks, seanm (and artlessknave of course). I plan to update to 11.3 stable as soon as possible, and it seems like there are lots of changes to SMB so I probably won't spend too much time investigating before then. I will post any follow-up here.

statalently

Dabbler
A small update for anyone still interested. I tested this on 11.3, same problem. I also noticed that it is only happening when a certain application is doing backup copies of the currently open file. Other than that, still no idea about this. I got a little enthusiastic and looked up the source code for where the error is being sprung, but it's didn't mean much to me.

Code:
static ssize_t fruit_pread_meta_stream(vfs_handle_struct *handle,
                       files_struct *fsp, void *data,
                       size_t n, off_t offset)
{
    ssize_t nread;
    int ret;

nread = SMB_VFS_NEXT_PREAD(handle, fsp, data, n, offset);
    if (nread == -1 || nread == n) {
        return nread;
    }

DBG_ERR("Removing [%s] after short read [%zd]\n",
        fsp_str_dbg(fsp), nread);

ret = SMB_VFS_NEXT_UNLINKAT(handle,
            fsp->conn->cwd_fsp,
            fsp->fsp_name,
            0);
    if (ret != 0) {
        DBG_ERR("Removing [%s] failed\n", fsp_str_dbg(fsp));
        return -1;
    }

errno = EINVAL;
    return -1;
}

statalently

Dabbler
UPDATE: I have found the cause of the problem!
After dipping in and out of research into SMB, searching for the perfect configuration, I have had an illuminating test on a different system (Ubuntu).

In short, the errors were caused by the line in SMB conf:
fruit:metadata = stream
I was able to prevent the errors by using the default:
fruit:metadata = netatalk
I had seen other advice recommending using 'stream' setup (Samba Wiki!), but I guess the defaults are the defaults for a reason.

In long...
From vfs_fruit manual:
The module enables alternate data streams (ADS) support for a share, intercepts the OS X special streams "AFP_AfpInfo" and "AFP_Resource" and handles them in a special way. All other named streams are deferred to vfs_streams_xattr which must be loaded together with vfs_fruit.

So, there are two streams in addition to the main data stream: AfpInfo (metadata) and Resource (extra file resources I think).

Resource stream
fruit:resource = [ file | xattr | stream ]
Controls where the OS X resource fork is stored.
Settings:
file (default) - use a ._ AppleDouble file compatible with OS X and Netatalk
xattr - use a xattr, requires a filesystem with large xattr support and a file IO API compatible with xattrs, this boils down to Solaris and derived platforms and ZFS
stream (experimental) - pass the stream on to the next module in the VFS stack. Warning: this option should not be used with the streams_xattr module due to the extended attributes size limitations of most filesytems.

So, if "streams_xattr... must be loaded together with vfs_fruit", and fruit:resource = stream "should not be used with the streams_xattr module due to the extended attributes size limitations of most filesytems", then that means that we should not use fruit:resource = stream unless we're on ZFS. Great! FreeNAS is ZFS. So the Resource stream gets passed to the streams_xattr module and everything is fine. One more reason to use FreeNAS :smile:

Metadata/AfpInfo stream
fruit:metadata = [ stream | netatalk ]
Controls where the OS X metadata stream is stored:
netatalk (default) - use Netatalk compatible xattr
stream - pass the stream on to the next module in the VFS stack

Using 'stream' we see the error in the logs when files are saved:
../../source3/modules/vfs_fruit.c:4218(fruit_pread_meta_stream) fruit_pread_meta_stream: Removing [testiiiing.txt.sb-df65248a-abgu9M/testiiiing.txt:AFP_AfpInfo] failed
So, I tried switching it back to the default, and I stop getting this error in the logs. Instead, I see a file flash briefly in Mac's Finder when I save the file. The file has the same name I think - "testiiiing.txt.sb-df65248a-abgu9M". This seems preferable to gigabytes of log files filled with errors.

If anyone with deeper knowledge of these things has any further explanation, or sees something wrong with the above, I would be keen to learn.

statalently

Dabbler
Just to add one more minor mystery to this... it seems that FreeNAS is quite keen to have the Fruit:metadata as 'stream', because I had to override this on a share-by-share basis in order to set it. This makes me think that someone at iX made Fruit:metadata = stream the default on FreeNAS (even though it's not the default for the Fruit module itself) for a good reason...

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
It doesn't generate this message by default when streams are enabled. It indicates an abnormally truncated afpinfo xattr (possibly 0 bytes), but It's been a while since I looked at this particular code path.

The reason why we're writing them to streams by default is because most users don't want their filesystem cluttered with ._ files from mac clients if they can avoid it.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
lsextattr user <filename> for file that is reporting error message should show what xattrs have been written to it.
getextattr -qq user <xattr_name> <filename> | hexdump -C should give a hexdump of one of the problem-child xattrs. Post it here. Due to conventions of how streams get written as xattrs, you may need to enclose <xattr_name> is single-quotes.

statalently

Dabbler
Thank you for the information, Anodos.

Here is the output from the commands you provided. PTX is the file type, the rest I cannot decode...

Code:
00000000  41 46 50 00 00 00 01 00  00 00 00 00 80 00 00 00  |AFP.............|
00000010  50 54 58 20 50 54 75 6c  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  |PTX PTul........|
00000020  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  |................|

statalently

Dabbler
Here you are:
Code:
QUZQAAAAAQAAAAAAgAAAAFBUWCBQVHVsAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAA==
====

statalently

Dabbler
I'm pretty sure it is on saves. We mostly use a program that makes backup saves every couple of minutes, and that is what is filling the log files.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I'm pretty sure it is on saves. We mostly use a program that makes backup saves every couple of minutes, and that is what is filling the log files.
Are you able to reproduce with a single client outside of that application? If so, I'll provide instructions on gathering a packet capture of the behavior.

statalently

Dabbler
Yeah I believe so. We get the problem with saving any file type I think (I have seen .txt and MS office files in the logs). I have Wireshark installed on a Mac client. Ready and waiting for instructions.

statalently

Dabbler
Does this do the trick?
Code:
SMB2    446    Create Request File: ;Find Request SMB2_FIND_ID_BOTH_DIRECTORY_INFO Pattern: testing.txt.sb-b43eba60-Qoi8oa;Close Request

SMB2 (Server Message Block Protocol version 2)
    SMB2 Header
        ProtocolId: 0xfe534d42
        Header Length: 64
        Credit Charge: 1
        Channel Sequence: 0
        Reserved: 0000
        Command: Create (5)
        Credits requested: 256
        Flags: 0x00000000
            .... .... .... .... .... .... .... ...0 = Response: This is a REQUEST
            .... .... .... .... .... .... .... ..0. = Async command: This is a SYNC command
            .... .... .... .... .... .... .... .0.. = Chained: This pdu is NOT a chained command
            .... .... .... .... .... .... .... 0... = Signing: This pdu is NOT signed
            .... .... .... .... .... .... .000 .... = Priority: This pdu does NOT contain a PRIORITY
            ...0 .... .... .... .... .... .... .... = DFS operation: This is a normal operation
            ..0. .... .... .... .... .... .... .... = Replay operation: This is NOT a replay operation
        Chain Offset: 0x00000080
        Message ID: Unknown (367493)
        Process Id: 0x0000feff
        Tree Id: 0x5c054d75
        Session Id: 0x000000000e4632d6
        Signature: 00000000000000000000000000000000
        [Response in: 788]
    Create Request (0x05)
        StructureSize: 0x0039
            0000 0000 0011 100. = Fixed Part Length: 28
            .... .... .... ...1 = Dynamic Part: True
        Oplock: No oplock (0x00)
        Impersonation level: Impersonation (2)
        Create Flags: 0x0000000000000000
        Reserved: 0000000000000000
        Access Mask: 0x00100081
            .... .... .... .... .... .... .... ...1 = Read: READ access
            .... .... .... .... .... .... .... ..0. = Write: NO write access
            .... .... .... .... .... .... .... .0.. = Append: NO append access
            .... .... .... .... .... .... .... 0... = Read EA: NO read extended attributes access
            .... .... .... .... .... .... ...0 .... = Write EA: NO write extended attributes access
            .... .... .... .... .... .... ..0. .... = Execute: NO execute access
            .... .... .... .... .... .... .0.. .... = Delete Child: NO delete child access
            .... .... .... .... .... .... 1... .... = Read Attributes: READ ATTRIBUTES access
            .... .... .... .... .... ...0 .... .... = Write Attributes: NO write attributes access
            .... .... .... ...0 .... .... .... .... = Delete: NO delete access
            .... .... .... ..0. .... .... .... .... = Read Control: Read access is NOT granted to owner, group and ACL of the SID
            .... .... .... .0.. .... .... .... .... = Write DAC: Owner may NOT write to the DAC
            .... .... .... 0... .... .... .... .... = Write Owner: Can NOT write owner (take ownership)
            .... .... ...1 .... .... .... .... .... = Synchronize: Can wait on handle to SYNCHRONIZE on completion of I/O
            .... ...0 .... .... .... .... .... .... = System Security: System security is NOT set
            .... ..0. .... .... .... .... .... .... = Maximum Allowed: Maximum allowed is NOT set
            ...0 .... .... .... .... .... .... .... = Generic All: Generic all is NOT set
            ..0. .... .... .... .... .... .... .... = Generic Execute: Generic execute is NOT set
            .0.. .... .... .... .... .... .... .... = Generic Write: Generic write is NOT set
            0... .... .... .... .... .... .... .... = Generic Read: Generic read is NOT set
        File Attributes: 0x00000010
            .... .... .... .... .... .... .... ...0 = Read Only: NOT read only
            .... .... .... .... .... .... .... ..0. = Hidden: NOT hidden
            .... .... .... .... .... .... .... .0.. = System: NOT a system file/dir
            .... .... .... .... .... .... .... 0... = Volume ID: NOT a volume ID
            .... .... .... .... .... .... ...1 .... = Directory: DIRECTORY
            .... .... .... .... .... .... ..0. .... = Archive: Has NOT been modified since last archive
            .... .... .... .... .... .... .0.. .... = Device: NOT a device
            .... .... .... .... .... .... 0... .... = Normal: Has some attribute set
            .... .... .... .... .... ...0 .... .... = Temporary: NOT a temporary file
            .... .... .... .... .... ..0. .... .... = Sparse: NOT a sparse file
            .... .... .... .... .... .0.. .... .... = Reparse Point: Does NOT have an associated reparse point
            .... .... .... .... .... 0... .... .... = Compressed: Uncompressed
            .... .... .... .... ...0 .... .... .... = Offline: Online
            .... .... .... .... ..0. .... .... .... = Content Indexed: NOT content indexed
            .... .... .... .... .0.. .... .... .... = Encrypted: This is NOT an encrypted file
        Share Access: 0x00000007, Read, Write, Delete
            .... .... .... .... .... .... .... ...1 = Read: Object can be shared for READ
            .... .... .... .... .... .... .... ..1. = Write: Object can be shared for WRITE
            .... .... .... .... .... .... .... .1.. = Delete: Object can be shared for DELETE
        Disposition: Open (if file exists open it, else fail) (1)
        Create Options: 0x00000001
            .... .... .... .... .... .... .... ...1 = Directory: File being created/opened must be a directory
            .... .... .... .... .... .... .... ..0. = Write Through: Writes need not flush buffered data before completing
            .... .... .... .... .... .... .... .0.. = Sequential Only: The file might not only be accessed sequentially
            .... .... .... .... .... .... .... 0... = Intermediate Buffering: Intermediate buffering is allowed
            .... .... .... .... .... .... ...0 .... = Sync I/O Alert: Operations NOT necessarily synchronous
            .... .... .... .... .... .... ..0. .... = Sync I/O Nonalert: Operations NOT necessarily synchronous
            .... .... .... .... .... .... .0.. .... = Non-Directory: File being created/opened must be a directory
            .... .... .... .... .... .... 0... .... = Create Tree Connection: Create Tree Connections is NOT set
            .... .... .... .... .... ...0 .... .... = Complete If Oplocked: Complete if oplocked is NOT set
            .... .... .... .... .... ..0. .... .... = No EA Knowledge: The client understands extended attributes
            .... .... .... .... .... .0.. .... .... = 8.3 Only: The client understands long file names
            .... .... .... .... .... 0... .... .... = Random Access: The file will not be accessed randomly
            .... .... .... .... ...0 .... .... .... = Delete On Close: The file should not be deleted when it is closed
            .... .... .... .... ..0. .... .... .... = Open By FileID: OpenByFileID is NOT set
            .... .... .... .... .0.. .... .... .... = Backup Intent: This is a normal create
            .... .... .... .... 0... .... .... .... = No Compression: Compression is allowed for Open/Create
            .... .... ...0 .... .... .... .... .... = Reserve Opfilter: Reserve Opfilter is NOT set
            .... .... ..0. .... .... .... .... .... = Open Reparse Point: Normal open
            .... .... .0.. .... .... .... .... .... = Open No Recall: Open no recall is NOT set
            .... .... 0... .... .... .... .... .... = Open For Free Space query: This is NOT an open for free space query
        Filename:
            Blob Offset: 0x00000078
            Blob Length: 0
        Blob Offset: 0x00000000
        ExtraInfo: NO DATA
    SMB2 Header
        Command: Find (14)
        Flags: 0x00000004, Chained
            .... .... .... .... .... .... .... .1.. = Chained: This pdu is a CHAINED command
            .... .... .... .... .... .... .000 .... = Priority: This pdu does NOT contain a PRIORITY
            ...0 .... .... .... .... .... .... .... = DFS operation: This is a normal operation
            ..0. .... .... .... .... .... .... .... = Replay operation: This is NOT a replay operation
        Chain Offset: 0x000000a0
        Message ID: Unknown (367494)
    Find Request (0x0e)
        StructureSize: 0x0021
            0000 0000 0010 000. = Fixed Part Length: 16
        Info Level: SMB2_FIND_ID_BOTH_DIRECTORY_INFO (37)
        Find Flags: 0x03, Restart Scans, Single Entry
            .... ...1 = Restart Scans: True
            .... ..1. = Single Entry: True
            .... .0.. = Index Specified: False
            ...0 .... = Reopen: False
        File Index: 0x00000000
        GUID handle
            File Id: ffffffff-ffff-ffff-ffff-ffffffffffff
            [Frame handle closed: 787]
        Output Buffer Length: 65536
        Search Pattern: testing.txt.sb-b43eba60-Qoi8oa
            Blob Offset: 0x00000060
            Blob Length: 60
    SMB2 Header
        Command: Close (6)
        Flags: 0x00000004, Chained
            .... .... .... .... .... .... .... .1.. = Chained: This pdu is a CHAINED command
        Chain Offset: 0x00000000
        Message ID: Unknown (367495)
    Close Request (0x06)
        StructureSize: 0x0018
            0000 0000 0001 100. = Fixed Part Length: 12
            .... .... .... ...0 = Dynamic Part: False
        Close Flags: 0x0000
            .... .... .... ...0 = PostQuery Attrib: False
        GUID handle
            File Id: ffffffff-ffff-ffff-ffff-ffffffffffff
            [Frame handle closed: 787]

------------------------------------------------

SMB2    430    Create Response File: ;Find Response, Error: STATUS_NO_SUCH_FILE;Close Response

SMB2 Header
        NT Status: STATUS_SUCCESS (0x00000000)
        Credits granted: 0
        Flags: 0x00000001, Response
            .... .... .... .... .... .... .... ...1 = Response: This is a RESPONSE
            .... .... .... .... .... .... .... .0.. = Chained: This pdu is NOT a chained command
        Chain Offset: 0x00000098
        [Response to: 787]
        [Time from request: 0.000802000 seconds]
    Create Response (0x05)
        StructureSize: 0x0059
            0000 0000 0101 100. = Fixed Part Length: 44
        Response Flags: 0x00
            .... ...0 = ReparsePoint: False
        Create Action: The file existed and was opened (1)
        Create: Sep 27, 2019 15:29:21.360806100 EDT
        Last Access: Aug  3, 2020 14:25:56.252135900 EDT
        Last Write: Aug  3, 2020 14:25:56.182332300 EDT
        Last Change: Aug  3, 2020 14:25:56.182332300 EDT
        Allocation Size: 0
        End Of File: 0
            .... .... .... .... .... .... ..0. .... = Archive: Has NOT been modified since last archive
            .... .... .... .... .... .0.. .... .... = Reparse Point: Does NOT have an associated reparse point
            .... .... .... .... .0.. .... .... .... = Encrypted: This is NOT an encrypted file
        Reserved: 00000000
        GUID handle File:
            File Id: e4167ce8-0000-0000-8aeb-614c00000000
            [Frame handle opened: 788]
    SMB2 Header
        NT Status: STATUS_NO_SUCH_FILE (0xc000000f)
        Flags: 0x00000005, Response, Chained
        Chain Offset: 0x00000050
    Find Response (0x0e)
        [Info Level: SMB2_FIND_ID_BOTH_DIRECTORY_INFO (37)]
        StructureSize: 0x0009
            0000 0000 0000 100. = Fixed Part Length: 4
        Error Context Count: 0
        Reserved: 0x00
        Byte Count: 0
        Error Data: 00
Frame 788: 430 bytes on wire (3440 bits), 430 bytes captured (3440 bits) on interface en0, id 0
Ethernet II, Src: SuperMic_6f:00:7b (0c:c4:7a:6f:00:7b), Dst: Apple_ab:1a:5c (78:7b:8a:ab:1a:5c)
Internet Protocol Version 4, Src: 10.150.16.10, Dst: 10.150.16.62
Transmission Control Protocol, Src Port: 445, Dst Port: 52398, Seq: 224415, Ack: 62999, Len: 364
NetBIOS Session Service
    Message Type: Session message (0x00)
    Length: 360
    SMB2 Header
        Flags: 0x00000001, Response
        Chain Offset: 0x00000098
    Create Response (0x05)
        StructureSize: 0x0059
            0000 0000 0101 100. = Fixed Part Length: 44
        Response Flags: 0x00
            .... ...0 = ReparsePoint: False
        Create Action: The file existed and was opened (1)
        Create: Sep 27, 2019 15:29:21.360806100 EDT
        Last Access: Aug  3, 2020 14:25:56.252135900 EDT
        Last Write: Aug  3, 2020 14:25:56.182332300 EDT
        Last Change: Aug  3, 2020 14:25:56.182332300 EDT
        GUID handle File:
            File Id: e4167ce8-0000-0000-8aeb-614c00000000
            [Frame handle opened: 788]
    SMB2 Header
        NT Status: STATUS_NO_SUCH_FILE (0xc000000f)
        Chain Offset: 0x00000050
    Find Response (0x0e)
        [Info Level: SMB2_FIND_ID_BOTH_DIRECTORY_INFO (37)]
        StructureSize: 0x0009
            0000 0000 0000 100. = Fixed Part Length: 4
        Error Context Count: 0
        Reserved: 0x00
        Byte Count: 0
        Error Data: 00
    SMB2 Header
        Command: Close (6)
        Credits granted: 3
        Chain Offset: 0x00000000
        Message ID: Unknown (367495)
    Close Response (0x06)
        StructureSize: 0x003c
            0000 0000 0011 110. = Fixed Part Length: 30
            .... .... .... ...0 = Dynamic Part: False
        Close Flags: 0x0000
            .... .... .... ...0 = PostQuery Attrib: False
        Create: No time specified (0)
        Last Access: No time specified (0)
        Last Write: No time specified (0)
        Last Change: No time specified (0)
        File Attributes: 0x00000000
            .... .... .... .... .... .... ...0 .... = Directory: NOT a directory