Linux mint VM reset after restart

sugar077

Cadet
I'm currently using a test bench to test some things before the rest of my server parts arrive and i implement the server, I created a vm of linux mint cinnamon to setup gamecache as a test, i installed linux mint inside the vm and when prompted i restarted it, it prompted me to remove my install media (i uploaded the iso directly from my pc to truenas) and pressed enter, it then went back to the beginning of the install screen and it appears i lost all my settings, what did i do wrong?

I'm planning on implementing linux mint as my primary VM for my truenas server in the future and want to know how to properly install it.

What is the proper way?
I'm pretty new to this and am looking to do this right.

Specs:
I7 3770k
32gb ddr3 1333
180gb ssd (boot drive for truenas)
3tb hdd
Intel z77 atx motherboard.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
You didn't do anything wrong. Just shutdown the VM, and configure the CDROM device not to point to the ISO. Start the VM back up again, and you should be in the Mint first run wizard.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Try blanking out the path to the ISO in the CDROM device. If that doesn't work, then just delete the CDROM device.

Whattteva

Wizard
Not sure about scale, but on CORE, I found that what works better is me just removing the CD ROM device altogether otherwise it tends to boot back onto the CDROM even if I changed the device ID to higher number. Allegedly this should change boot order according to manual, but never actually works for me in practice.

Last edited:

sugar077

Cadet
ok, so removing the .iso image from the VM so it only connects to the existing storage pool that you specify on creation of the Vm should make it so the issue is resolved and it boots from the pool?

Whattteva

Wizard
ok, so removing the .iso image from the VM so it only connects to the existing storage pool that you specify on creation of the Vm should make it so the issue is resolved and it boots from the pool?
It should.