Link to document in the same folder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oguruma

Patron
I am making an Excel spreadsheet to track my property (insurance purposes). I want to include a link to a pdf of the receipt for each item. The /property folder will live on my NAS, but I want to be able to back it up to USB drives and still have the links work.

Is there a way to reference a document in the same folder as the spreadsheet, rather than specifying the actual drive?

For example I can use R:\Documents\Property\Receipts\ipad-receipt.pdf

That will work until I need to use the link from a different computer from a DVD or USB drive (say after my house burns down), in which case I won't be able to see R:\ (My NAS).

Is there a way to replace the R:\ with "The same folder that this spreadsheet is in"?

Dice

Wizard
If connectivity is on the same LAN, data could be accessed via SMB or NFS shares, in which the documentlocation would be accessible to multiple units, for ex: \\nasbox\share\property\fish.xls

oguruma

Patron
If connectivity is on the same LAN, data could be accessed via SMB or NFS shares, in which the documentlocation would be accessible to multiple units, for ex: \\nasbox\share\property\fish.xls

That's just the thing, I would like a convenient way to make the entire thing portable. Let's say I want to give a copy of the entire property folder to the insurance company. They obviously wouldn't be connected to my network.

Or, let's say I need to use it off a USB drive without any connectivity at all.

I would like to have it as follows:

/property
/property/property-log.xls
/property/receipts
/property/receipts/ipad-receipt.pdf

Rather than R:\property\receipts\ipad-receipt.pdf I would like *This-same-folder*\receipts\ipad-receipt.pdf

Dice

Wizard
It is definitely achievable. Yet, not out of the box functionality.
Have a look into the plugins.
I recon you could achieve that with both NextCloud, OwnCloud and Resilio sync (perhaps paid version limitation).

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
This seems to be a bit difficult in Excel. If you search for "excel relative path" you might find something (or come out disappointed).

Dice

Wizard
ahhh - I did not realize your intentions included referencing <within excel>.

Status
Not open for further replies.