SOLVED Let's talk rackmount

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Spent some time thinking and god knows how many hours hunting but I found a seller on eBay where I can get a CSE-846 with the BPN-SAS2-846EL1 backplane, 2 1200w PSU's and rails for around $580 AUD shipped to the Shipito warehouse :D, gonna have to use the assisted purchase though so it'll cost a little extra and shipping from the Shipito warehouse to Aus will be about $310 according to the shipping calculator. Say all up $1000 - $1100 AUD just to be safe, I think that's a hell of a deal considering what I'm getting.
That sounds great. Do post back and let us know how it works out.

aussiejuggalo

Explorer
That sounds great. Do post back and let us know how it works out.

Looks like I'm probably going to miss out of the one I found, 3 sold in the last 32h and they have 2 left with over 40 watchers, guess someone found the link and shared it on a forum :mad:.

Next cheapest I've found is $300 more and comes with no rails, these sellers really know how to rip people off :rolleyes:. Looks like I may be waiting a while to find something that isn't an utter rip off.

Inxsible

Guru
Looks like I'm probably going to miss out of the one I found, 3 sold in the last 32h and they have 2 left with over 40 watchers, guess someone found the link and shared it on a forum :mad:.
Don't they have a 'Buy it Now' option. Just get it done with.

aussiejuggalo

Explorer
Don't they have a 'Buy it Now' option. Just get it done with.

They do but ain't got no $$$ for a few more days lol. I've found another one that's around the same price I just need to ask the seller what backplane it's using.

Edit, the thing that's really annoying me is the insane prices some of these people are asking, one I'm looking at is $600 USD, it's for the CSE-846 case with HDD cages and screws, an X8DAH+-F motherboard and 2 PWS-1K21P-1R PSU's, no rails, no CPU, no RAM, no RAID card and v1 backplane... may as well sell a kidney while I'm at it :rolleyes:.

Last edited:

Stux

MVP

aussiejuggalo

Explorer
Ended up finally getting a chassis, missed out on the one with the SAS2 backplane unfortunately so I ended up getting this Supermicro CSE-846 chassis instead, it's completely bare bones, no PSU, no motherboard etc, it also doesn't have the SAS2 backplane so I'll have to buy that in a few weeks but hey it comes with rails.

Also at the last minute I decide against Shipito, was reading about them and they've apparently gone down hill over the last year with shipments being lost in the warehouses, not replying to emails etc. Went with UStoOZ instead because I've heard good things about them and so far it's been pretty good, reply to emails quicky, have pretty low fees and from what I've heard they actually try to get you the cheapest shipping option and on that note, the cheapest shipping option is sea freight, I don't have an exact price yet but from the rough size & weight I gave them it'll be around $250 AUD, it'll take 5 - 6 weeks but that gives me time to buy the backplane and get stuff around here ready.

aussiejuggalo

Explorer
UStoOZ shipped the chassis today via sea freight, ended up costing $396.91 AUD shipping (55.58 for there fees) the shipping was a bit expensive because the free insurance was up to $200 USD but seeing the chassis cost $439 USD I ended up paying an extra $95 USD for the $0 - $750 insurance. So the cost was,

Chassis :$603.60 AUD.
Shipping: $396.91 AUD.
Total: $1000.51 AUD.

Not to bad of a price I suppose but I still need a SAS2 backplane which will bump the cost up another $400 - $800 AUD but the chassis wont be here for another 5 - 6 weeks so I've got plenty of time to work that out anyway.

Stux

MVP
Vs $520AU for the Norco... New

It should be awesome once you get a backplane

Inxsible

Guru
Total: $1000.51 AUD.
That equates to about 788 USD. That's quite a lot of coin for just the chassis. Not to mention that you still need the backplane.

aussiejuggalo

Explorer
Vs $520AU for the Norco... New

It should be awesome once you get a backplane

Yeah but I just didn't trust the Norco plus I'd need to get a SAS expander for that anyway so that would bump the price up.

I missed out by maybe an hour on the $270 USD chassis that came with rails and the SAS2 backplane which I'm annoyed about. I've got my eye on a backplane thats $370 AUD and $80 shipping, next cheapest one is $640 & $65 shipping but it's brand new, still $1000 cheaper than buying the 846E26 from TechBuy.

Honestly I don't mind spending extra on quality but I wasn't going to drop $2600 on a brand new chassis when I'm going to gut the thing anyway. Granted I am spending more than I would have liked but nothing much I can do about that.

That equates to about 788 USD. That's quite a lot of coin for just the chassis. Not to mention that you still need the backplane.

I know but it was the cheapest I could find that wasn't an utter rip off, some sellers removed the hdd cages, rails, backplane etc and charged even more... I also had to pay the shipping to UStoOZ warehouse which was $55 USD plus the extra insurance was $95 USD so those added to the price, I suppose I could have skipped the extra insurance but like I've already said the free cover was only up to $200 USD and this cost $439 USD so if anything happened to it I'd be out $239.

Last edited:

aussiejuggalo

Explorer
Small update, got the backplane a few days ago, looks brand new and says it's a BPN-SAS2-846EL1, Rev 1.11A. The chassis should also be here around the second week of December :D.

aussiejuggalo

Explorer
Got the case today :D, had a bit of a stuff around with the delivery but all good in the end.

Now to get the rack.

Edit, added more photos of the chassis. Also ordered the Norco 120mm fan wall that I'll be stuffing in it.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 308
  • 1-new.jpg
    1-new.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 313
  • 2-new.jpg
    2-new.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 303
  • 3-new.jpg
    3-new.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Got the case today :D, had a bit of a stuff around with the delivery but all good in the end.

Now to get the rack.

Edit, added more photos of the chassis. Also ordered the Norco 120mm fan wall that I'll be stuffing in it.
How did this work out for you ??

aussiejuggalo

Explorer
God it's taken me a while but I finally got everything done.

Had a bit of work to do to get the fan wall in but got it in. Had to cut off 3 chunks of the wall and drill some holes in the chassis but it's in securely now, I also swapped out the back 80mm fans to Noctua 2000RPM ones as well, found with the fans I don't even have to bother with screws because the rubber corners hold them in nice and tight.

I've been doing a build log for the whole rackmount journey on the Overclockers AU forum, was going to do a build log here but didn't get around to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.