LCD on FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

s25a

Explorer
Hi,

I am planning to integrate a Small LCD in my server to see some basic information from the System. E.G. The HDD Temperatures. There are plenty of LCD available and also software to configure it however before starting to buy something I want to know if that is supported by the OS. As FreeNAS is build on BSD I guess the Software and the device it self have to support this.

Did someone here build up something like this. I already did some research and one display that could be interesting is this. It is USB one.
https://www.crystalfontz.com/product/cfa835tfk-display-graphic-lcd-244x68

There is a lot of Software to configure it but I am not sure if this works under BSD.

Thanks

S

Last edited by a moderator:

danb35

Hall of Famer
There's nothing built in to FreeNAS that supports reporting information on a LCD--the idea is that your server will be somewhere out of the way (and ideally it will have IPMI or something comparable), so the LCD wouldn't be any benefit.

Artion

Patron
But if you really want to make it, maybe it's better to dive into arduino stuff… it'll cost you way off. You'll always need to program them. Motherboards generally have serial port headers on them. So you can make a script that runs as a cronjob and collects the data you need from the FN box and writes to the serial port. Arduino-like board reads that data and writes them to the lcd or led etc…

Inviato dal mio YD201 utilizzando Tapatalk

Or just buy a cheap tablet that has WiFi and pull up the status page on FreeNAS whenever you want to see what is going on through the web browser and be done.

The simplest answer is usually the easiest to implement and less likely to cause problems later on.

Arwen

MVP
Or just buy a cheap tablet that has WiFi and pull up the status page on FreeNAS whenever you want to see what is going on through the web browser and be done.

The simplest answer is usually the easiest to implement and less likely to cause problems later on.
Yep. Here in the US small Amazon fire tablets are dirt cheap. The cheapest I just saw was $35 US.

Status
Not open for further replies.