Adding LCD display to freenas

Status
Not open for further replies.

haim96

Dabbler
hello every one!

i'm trying to add LCD display to my freenas machine.
the display is hd44780 with lcd2usb connection.

i figured that i need to install LCDPROC so i did:
Code:
pkg_add -r lcdproc

it worked nice but it seems that the package doesn't include the driver for LCD2USB converter and for that i need to download the source of LCDPROC and compile my self.

so i downloaded it but when i try to compile it say that he can't find C++ compiler (which i can understand because it's a minimal installation)
so i tried to add a compiler with:
Code:
pkg_add -r gcc46

it looked like i almost won but then i got disk full error, it seems that the package is too big...

so i tried to compile it on ubunto machine and copy the new driver to the freenas machine but it doesn't really work.

does any one here have know a better way for this?

for general info, i'm running freenas from usb storage, version 8.0.1.

thanks!

ProtoSD

MVP
If you promise to read the FAQ (below in my signature) and post the link for the source here, I will *TRY* to compile it for you ASAP (probably later this evening, maybe sooner). You'll also need to tell me which processor you're using and which version of FreeNAS i386/AMD64.

haim96

Dabbler
Hi and thanks for the help!
That was one long FAQ :).
Very helpful, i will keep the link

Here a link to lcdproc:
http://lcdproc.org/
There is a download link in the 0.5.4 release section.

My CPU is Celeron 220 1.2ghz
I'm using version i386, 8.01 stable.

Thanks again!

Haim

haim96

Dabbler
Thanks!

I will test this as soon as i get home.
Is there special procces to install this?
Pkg_add will work?

ProtoSD

MVP
You'll have to read the docs in the folder. I don't think pkg_add will work. You might need to reflash your FreeNAS disk since you filled it up. I think if you did a 'make install' it would install it for you, the problem is you'd need to install make and I'm not sure what the dependencies are so you could end up filling your flash drive again. Read the docs, you'll probably have to hand pick the excutable files etc. from the different folders. If you look into the 'Install' script file, you may get a clue what needs to be copied to where. I'd really suggest re-flashing since trying to remove all the stuff that got installed will be a hassle.

haim96

Dabbler
Hi,

i downloaded the files but didn't installed it yet. i believe the driver i need (hd44780.so) is missing from the driver directory.
the document said it need the parameter: --enable-drivers=all

the full command (that i tried to use) is:
Code:
 ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --enable-drivers=all

here the link with more info, i believe i could handle this but i don't have linux machine
ready for this...
http://lcdproc.sourceforge.net/docs/lcdproc-0-5-4-user.html
(scroll to chapter 3, "installation")

any chance you can send fixed package?

thanks and sorry for not mention this before... :(

Haim.

ProtoSD

MVP
No problem, I'll fix it and post another link for you.

EDIT:
I updated the link above with the new package. Let me know if you need any other fixes.

haim96

Dabbler
looks better, thanks!

i'm flashing now the system i will probably report tomorrow.

thanks again!

haim

p.s does rapidshare always slow!?

ProtoSD

MVP
p.s does rapidshare always slow!?

No, it's actually faster for me than hosts in the US! It probably varies on your location. Sorry it's slow for you.

Looking forward to hearing how things go with your LCD.

haim96

Dabbler
Hi, again!

well i tried it all morning but it still doesn't work.
i opened the driver (hd44780.so) to look for hints to see if the lcd2usb support compiled into it but i couldn't find it.
(but i did saw other drivers names....)
so i did some more research and found that:
http://lists.omnipotent.net/pipermail/lcdproc/2010-August/013329.html

the error in the post is the exact error i get.

any chance you can tell if libusb and pkg_config was exist in your compilation?

thanks!

haim.

ProtoSD

MVP
Hi Haim,

I'm a little busy right now, but I'll take a look at it in a little while and post back.

-- Proto

haim96

Dabbler
no problem! take your time... :)
i'm looking for solution too.

so far i found that there is no LIBUSB for freebsd so i'm not sure if this can work...

ProtoSD

MVP
That's strange if it's true because when I looked at their FAQ yesterday they said it ran on FreeBSD. There has to be a way, let me know what you find.

haim96

Dabbler
yes... it's run but the LCD2USB driver need LIBUSB and it seems according to this link that freebsd use another version of LIBUSB:
http://www.libusb.org/wiki/libusb-1.0#Download
(under "Portability" section...)

so LCDPROC may work on FREEBSD for other LCD type but not for lcd2usb. but i'm not sure.... did the FAQ said otherwise?

ProtoSD

MVP
do you think that LCD4LINUX will work on freebsd?
http://ssl.bulix.org/projects/lcd4linux/wiki/Download

I don't have time to look at the details, but from the first look it doesn't seem possible. I still think there should be a way to make lcdproc work, but it might only work for the non-USB version LCD.

EDIT: I would try to contact someone at the LCDproc site and ask them. The FAQ does say it works on FreeBSD, but it doesn't give details about whether or not that include the USB version.

haim96

Dabbler
as i thought... :(
any way, i don't want you to wast any more time on this.
you already did more then enough and i really thank you for that!
i looking for buying some other LCD module, i have one for LPT port but i don't have LPT port on the MB.

any suggestions for good LCD that you know will work?

ProtoSD

MVP
any suggestions for good LCD that you know will work?

Sorry, I thought what you were trying to do was interesting and wanted to help you get the driver for it, but I haven't had much interest in doing it myself, not enough time etc.

Happy to help, you're welcome, good luck!

haim96

Dabbler
:)

i want to build home storage with good backup options (aka snapshots and mirrored disks).
at work i'm working with netapp machine and they really cool! i guess this very close to ontap OS...
since this will use my wife's data (she is designer and got alot of data) i want that in case of failure she will be able to look at the screen for errors...etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.