LCD Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

wreuel

Dabbler
Hi,

I'm using the FreeNAS 9.3, and I want to know if it possible to attach a LCD Display to it, to show if anything is wrong, at least the initialization, process, once I do not have a monitor near by to connect to it, every time that I need to restart.

So, if anyone has any idea how to do it! I would be grateful.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
No, there's no support for such a thing. However, you could certainly turn on serial console and have something like a Raspberry Pi with an LCD act as a terminal.

wreuel

Dabbler

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Refer to your motherboard/system manual. If it does have it and is turned on in the BIOS, then in the FreeNas GUI you should see an "IPMI" tab under [Network]. You can always tell us your motherboard/system make/model and others may clarify if you do/don't have that capability.

wreuel

Dabbler
Refer to your motherboard/system manual. If it does have it and is turned on in the BIOS, then in the FreeNas GUI you should see an "IPMI" tab under [Network]. You can always tell us your motherboard/system make/model and others may clarify if you do/don't have that capability.

Well,
My motherboar is one AS Rock N68-S3 FX, I think it doesn't have, does it?

gpsguy

I doubt it. Typically IPMI, iLO, etc are only found on server class systems.

Note: the mobo doesn't support ECC RAM (highly recommended) and it has a 10/100 RealCrap NIC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rogerh

Guru
You only need a monitor if it doesn't start up. If it does you can use SSH or the GUI to check all is good. In practice failures may not not be very often.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
You only need a monitor if it doesn't start up. If it does you can use SSH or the GUI to check all is good. In practice failures may not not be very often.
I don't think the OP is talking about that kind of LCD display...

rogerh

Guru
I don't think the OP is talking about that kind of LCD display...
No, but apparently that kind of purpose, rather than hardware monitoring; he said "attach a LCD Display to it, to show if anything is wrong, at least the initialization, process".

jgreco

Resident Grinch
No, but apparently that kind of purpose, rather than hardware monitoring; he said "attach a LCD Display to it, to show if anything is wrong, at least the initialization, process".

I'm assuming something like the LCD display on the QNAP or Seagate NAS Pro devices, which would be nice, but not that likely.

Mirfster

Mirfster

Which brings up an interesting point. If I go all cool watercooling and hacky fun on my new desktop hypervisor, I should see if I can add a LCD to it to show VM statistics...
Would be even cooler if the touch screen was full functional as well...

rogerh

Guru
I suppose it all makes better sense if your FreeNAS machine is somewhere you can see it. Otherwise it seems have less value.

Status
Not open for further replies.