SOLVED Recover from HW failure

dakotta

Dabbler
After a power failure, my trusty Dell T-310 Poweredge [see signature] will not boot. Is there a way I can recover from this? Or have I lost my pool?

Symptoms

1. Motherboard powers On, fans ramp to High speed.
2. Status LCD does not illuminate or display any messages.
3. No beep codes.
4. Monitor displays weird colored bars, but no TTY
5. IP address not visible on network

Possible Solutions ?

1. Replace the broken hardware. [motherboard, CPU]
2. Replace the entire T-310
3. Migrate the pool to new hardware

I'm still troubleshooting the hardware problem, but if it turns out to be the motherboard or CPU can I just replace them and expect the pool to intact? What about migrating to new hardware? Is this possible? Or is it only possible if I have an existing [functioning] system?

Cheers,

Last edited:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
If the disk/ssd drives are ok - for which you need a repaired or replaced system to test - your pool is probably unaffected. Replace hardware, perform a fresh install (if at all necessary, possibly your boot drive still works, too), import pool if fresh install.

Nothing in your pool data is in any way tied to a particular machine.

oxyde

Contributor
If you have backup the configuration file, perform a fresh install and restore everything in new hardware will be a lot easier.

I think will be hard find the broken component if you dont have compatible hw for test, but for sure u can try to boot up with 1 single RAM testing each available slot

dakotta

Dabbler
Thank you both for your feedback.

I managed to get my hands on another working T-310 to use for spare parts. However, oxyde's comment made me realize the most likely problem was bad RAM.

So, before I did anything else I removed all the RAM, then re-inserted a single stick. TrueNAS booted just fine. Then I continued to add one stick at a time until all the RAM was inserted.

I could not duplicate the problem. I have rebooted several times since and TrueNAS reports no problems.

I'm not sure what that was all about.

I'm running SMART tests now then I'll test the RAM, but I don't think I'm going to find anything.

Meanwhile, this has served as a kick-in-the-butt to finish building my replacement NAS [see signature]. I purchased (6) 6-TB drives and when they arrive, I'll be ready to start burn-in.

Cheers,