kernel panic during boot

axelmahone

Cadet
My friends freenas does not boot anymore.
We updated his system from 9.x to 11.2 a couple of weeks ago.

A short review over the process:
  • we installed a fresh version of Freenas 11.2 on a usb drive
  • we restored his ZFS pool (RAIDZ1)
  • we devided his data volume into sub datasets and moved the data
  • set up users and shares
  • he bought a new ssd and we copied the boot device to the new drive (with dd)
  • created a jail (on the data-volume)
It was running fine for a couple of weeks, but now he gets an assert (zap_increment_int [0x7a == 0x0]) resulting in a kernel panic while booting the system.

According to this resource it is a checksum error: https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=220203
This case was in connection with a SAS controller, which we do not have.

Does anyone have an advice how to fix this issue?
It is for private use and I always have the option to reinstall the complete system within a couple of hours, but out of curiosity I want to try to find and fix the cause.

Hardware:
ASRock 75 Pro+ (latest UEFI)
AMD A4-3400
16 GB RAM
250 GB SSD boot device
4*3 TB WD Red

(no need to point out it's consumer hardware, I am totally aware of that :) )

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
What brand/model is the boot SSD? if this is one of the drives impacted by the 3D NAND/TRIM issue, you may need to replace it.

Typically this would be WD Green or some Crucial drives, but can be others too.

sretalla