Keg-Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian M

Dabbler
So I've been working on it for almost 5 years now. Just been letting the thing sit in idle though but it is time to revive it and finish it.
I have an old Labatt beer keg that I got out of an apartment I rented years ago. It was unusable and unreturnable so what to do with it? Well, I've decided that it'll make a nice home to a 24-36TB server system.
I am doing a complete custom fabrication of the interior housing for the parts and will definitely post pictures of it on my site and add the link later.

Here is a list of what is being used for PC components (all from NewEgg unless specifically noted):
2x ASUS C60M1-I AMD Fusion motherboards
12x Hitachi Deskstar 2TB hdds
12x Rosewill 10" SATA-III angle-flat data cables
2x 8GB (2x4GB) G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 RAM
2x SeGoN 8GB miniDing micro flash drives
COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M600 RS-600-AMBA-D3 600W ATX12V V2.3 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Bronze Certified
picoPSU-150-XT + 102W Adapter Power Kit from Ituner Networks

Cage system parts (all from Menards):
1/8"x24"x24" steel perferrated sheet (x2)
1/16"x3/4"x3/4" 8ft aluminum angle (x2)
#8x32 1/2" machine screws with locknuts

Total cost: don't care as long as everything works.

decapyre

Cadet
How is the ASUS C60M1-I AMD Fusion Motherboard holding up? What sort of configuration are the HDDs in (xfs, jbod, etc?)
Also does the onboard nic for that Asus board work with FreeBSD? Reviews on newegg state otherwise.

I'm interested in the itx approach for my upcoming Nas build so just wondering!

Ian M

Dabbler
System isn't setup yet. Just started assembling the inner frame to be placed inside the keg with the components. I will definitely post configurations and everything as I progress through it. From what I've read though, the onboard NIC should work but I will post back later with a definite answer once all parts are installed and FreeNAS is installed and configured.

Status
Not open for further replies.