Jail Plugin SSH to Reverse Proxy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

butterwrath

Dabbler
Hey guys, I'm fairly new FreeNAS and networking. I ran into some trouble:
I don't have access to the router in my building, but have access to the Ethernet port in the wall. Ultimately, I would like to have remote access to my Plex, but I don't have access to port forwarding for 32400. I did some research, and found a solution that utilized DigitalOcean as a reverse proxy to bypass the port forwarding step.

What I did so far:
DigitalOcean:
  • installed Ubuntu
  • installed Nginx, set up reverse proxy and SSH (to the best of my knowledge)
FreeNAS (9.10):
  • installed SSH on my Plex plugin jail
... and I'm stuck. I can't seem to connect the two things, and even after I do connect the two, I don't know where to go from there. (Do I need to turn on the SSH service in FreeNAS even though I only want to SSH into a jail?) I was hoping this community would be able to provide me some guidance in this regard. This little project started out with the desire to bypass the port forwarding requirement, but now, I just really want to use this as an opportunity to learn more. I would appreciate any assistance you can offer. Thank you for your time!

butterwrath

Dabbler
Hi,

I haven't had the time recently to play with it. But I tried a few things, and I do have a small update:
The command for both interfaces seem to be:
ssh -R [random_port]:localhost:22 sourceuser@138.47.99.99

I tried -R and -L. Didn't seem to make a difference

From my NAS shell, I immediately get an error message saying:
ssh: connect to host 138.47.99.99 port 22: Connection refused

From the VM, I tried the same code with the IPs switched, and the connection just times out... Not sure what I'm doing wrong...

Status
Not open for further replies.