Issues with 12.0-U1 resulting in kernel panic boot loop

bernieke

Cadet
Hi,

After I upgraded to 12.0-U1 last week I started getting following error emails (multiple each day), all of which cleared themselves after a minute (the resilvers as well, they resilver at most a few mb in a few seconds time):
* Read SMART Error Log Failed.
* smartd is not running
* Pool zpool state is ONLINE: One or more devices has experienced an unrecoverable error. An attempt was made to correct the error. Applications are unaffected.
* Pool zpool state is ONLINE: One or more devices is currently being resilvered. The pool will continue to function, possibly in a degraded state.
* Pool zpool state is ONLINE: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data corruption. Applications may be affected.

And I got a few faulted/removed drives (on two occasions, each time two different drives, on the first occasion the drives got faulted, on the second they got removed):
* Pool zpool state is DEGRADED: One or more devices are faulted in response to persistent errors. Sufficient replicas exist for the pool to continue functioning in a degraded state.
* Pool zpool state is DEGRADED: One or more devices has been removed by the administrator. Sufficient replicas exist for the pool to continue functioning in a degraded state. (They had certainly not been removed by me...)

After the drives got "removed" (not really, they were still there in zpool status), I did a zpool clear to get the pool back (it was no longer accessible at this point), and noticed my jails were no longer working properly, so decided to do a full shutdown and fresh boot.

After this the machine would keep rebooting every 10 minutes or so.
Looking at the ipmi I saw the reboots were happening because of the watchdog.
I attached the console and managed to grab a recording of following kernel panic:
kernel_panic.png

During the next reboot I changed the boot environment back to 12.0-RELEASE, and the system has been running fine once more for the past hour and a half. (The reboots had been going on for 3 hours before I changed the boot environment, so it was certainly not a coincidence.)

My system consists of:
* Supermicro X9SCA with Xeon E3-1200 v2 and 32GB ECC memory
* three 9211-8i HBAs (20.00.04.00 IT firmware)
* 24 sata drives (6 12TB TOSHIBA MG07ACA1 and 18 4TB ST4000VN008, ST4000DM000, HGST HMS5C4040BL and Hitachi HUS72404)

If there's anything else I can provide to help you figure this out, please let me know.

A few quick suggestions:
  1. If the drives are in hot-swap trays, remove and then reinsert the drives (after powering down...); otherwise try unplugging and re-plugging the power and data connectors to the drives
  2. If you have a new/known good data cable, try swapping them out
  3. You could try removing and re-inserting the HBAs
--- Edit ---
Additional thought: Have you looked at your power supply? I can't tell from your config if you are using a Supermicro chassis with associated power supply(ies) or something else. Does this happy under heavy load?

bernieke

Cadet
Hi,

Thank you for the suggestions, but note that the problem only occurred after upgrading to U1 and went away again when going back to RELEASE.

So I doubt the problem is hardware related. Considering U1 comes with openzfs 2.0 I'm inclined to think that might be the source of these issues.

--- Edit ---
It looks like openzfs 2.0 was already part of 12.0-RELEASE as well? So must be something else then...

bernieke

Cadet
Quick update: the system has been running error free on 12.0-RELEASE ever since.