Issues - snapshots as shadow copies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cellobita

Contributor
Using SBS 2008 (Windows Server 2008 x64), with an additional FreeNAS 8.0.1-RELEASE server (4GB RAM, two mirrored HD's, ZFS, snapshots every 4 hours for one month); I've got two issues:

1) from the SBS desktop, if you right click on a folder stored at the FreeNAS server and select Previous Versions, the name on each shadow copy instance is the same as the folder name - i.e., you can't tell each snapshot apart;

2011-10-01 09h45_14.jpg

However, if you right click a snapshot and select Properties, the location field shows the timestamp:

2011-10-01 09h55_14.jpg

2) if you select any instance/snapshot and click Open, nothing happens.

Anyone with the same issues? Any fixes?

Regards,

Marcello
São Paulo - SP - Brazil

Cellobita

Contributor
Well, it seems that either no one else uses shadow copies (a shame, because they are a really useful feature on recent Windows OS'es), or I'm the only FreeNAS user having this issue - bummer...

Does anyone here have this working as it should on their (equivalent) setups?

AlexP

Cadet
shadow copies - previous versions

Helo Marcelo,
I'm trying to use the previous version feature too, but in the relative tab I get "There are no previous versions available".

On freenas I can correctly see all the zfs snapshots in the page.

Can you please explain how to see them from windows too?

Thanks,
Alex

Cellobita

Contributor
It is supposed to "just work": I don't recall having done anything in particular except scheduling regular snapshots on the server.

Anyway, I've given up on FreeNAS 8 for the time being - I'll try again in a few months, after the myriad little annoyances on the product (hopefully) get sorted out.

Cellobita

Contributor
I've just tested again with 8.0.3-RC2, and the situation got worse - now Windows tells me that "There are no previous versions available" (just like it did for AlexP, and even though I have a full month of ZFS snapshots on that volume).

Also, e-mail notifications seem to have stopped working (again...), with a "[Errno 8] hostname nor servname provided, or not known" on clicking the "Send Test Mail" button; all fields have been correctly filled and double-checked.

Now, folks, I'm not a newbie - been working with computers since 1982 - and I have a distinct feeling that there are some areas that have regressed (how come shadow copies and e-mail notifications work on 8.0-RELEASE, but not now?).

bjzolp

Cadet
I'm trying out Version 8.0.3 - RELEASE and cannot seem to get this to work either. I am getting the "There are no previous versions available" issue as described above in both Windows 2003 and Windows 2008. Has anyone been successful with this feature in 8.0.3?

Ico747

Dabbler
I add to /usr/local/etc/smb.conf

vfs objects = zfsacl shadow_copy2
shadow: snapdir = .zfs/snapshot
shadow: sort = desc
shadow: localtime = yes
shadow: format = auto-%Y%m%d.%H%M-2w

I am using Periodic snapshots. It did not work on FreeNAS-8.0.3-RELEASE-p1-x86. Do I miss something?

propeller

Cadet
what a pity

changed to from 8.02 to 8.03p1 a week ago without reading the issue
I was happy with 8.02, worked fine, I don't think that it is caused by windows 7, my windows xp machine don't show the previous versions too.
Knows anybody if it is possible to change back to 8.02? Access snapshots from windows is one of the main reasons to use freenas.
Greetings

G

gcooper

changed to from 8.02 to 8.03p1 a week ago without reading the issue
I was happy with 8.02, worked fine, I don't think that it is caused by windows 7, my windows xp machine don't show the previous versions too.
Knows anybody if it is possible to change back to 8.02? Access snapshots from windows is one of the main reasons to use freenas.

If you upgrade to 8.0.4 it will be fixed. BETA2 is out now and RC1 will be coming soon..

G

gcooper

It does not work for me. I have 8.0.0.BETA 2. The only difference is that I have configured and activate AD service e.g. "local" user from AD.
P.S. It does not work with local user freenas server as well.

Can you please click the share in the GUI, press Ok, restart CIFS, then post /usr/local/etc/smb.conf up on pastebin?

Reason why is a few fold:

1. There's a bug in this version (that will be fixed in 8.2.0 IIRC) where reloading the share won't automatically take effect and cause samba to reload the share (under certain conditions/scenarios).
2. There are other items (that Dru documented in the docs -- thanks again Dru!!!!) that one needs to be aware of when working with samba / CIFS integration in FreeNAS 8.x (another shameless plug for the doc page: http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Windows_(CIFS)_Shares#Configuring_Shadow_Copies :)..). If some of the prerequisites aren't handled prior to setting up the share (or afterwards, as the case may be with Windows 7 RFM), then things won't work.

Not saying it's perfect, and there are probably bugs. But at least the above items are known and we'll be more than happy to document [and fix] the rest :).

Ico747

Dabbler
Can you please click the share in the GUI, press Ok, restart CIFS, then post /usr/local/etc/smb.conf up on pastebin?

Reason why is a few fold:

1. There's a bug in this version (that will be fixed in 8.2.0 IIRC) where reloading the share won't automatically take effect and cause samba to reload the share (under certain conditions/scenarios).
2. There are other items (that Dru documented in the docs -- thanks again Dru!!!!) that one needs to be aware of when working with samba / CIFS integration in FreeNAS 8.x (another shameless plug for the doc page: http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Windows_(CIFS)_Shares#Configuring_Shadow_Copies :)..). If some of the prerequisites aren't handled prior to setting up the share (or afterwards, as the case may be with Windows 7 RFM), then things won't work.

Not saying it's perfect, and there are probably bugs. But at least the above items are known and we'll be more than happy to document [and fix] the rest :).
It works. Tank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.