ZFS Shadow Copy proble

Status
Not open for further replies.

pce

Dabbler
Hi,

I am running FreeNAS 9.2.1.5 on a intel xeon server, with 7 x 2TB configured in a single RAIDZ arrangement with 20GB of RAM. From this raid pool we have a number of CIFS shares being served to clients...

for example

PCE is served from /mnt/PCE_RAID_POOL/PCE
PCEIT is served from /mnt/PCE_RAID_POOL/PCEIT

The NAS is functioning as a file server for our company, for the last 2 years we have been running FreeNas 8.2.0 fine (with the exception of shadow copy). Just today, I have updated to a more recent FreeNAS version.

During business hours, a ZFS snapshot task captures a recursive image of the PCE_RAID_POOL every 2 hours. These snapshots are maintained for a month and then deleted. Through the web interface a months worth of snapshots is listed, each with a different referring value as expected.... HIP HIP HOORAY....

Restoring the contents of these snapshots is proving to be to big a task unfortunately.... I have tried a number of way...

1) Through the webpage I pick a snapshot, and try to clone it to a location accessible from a windows machine say /mnt/PCE_RAID_POOL/PCE. The cloning failed. So i decided not to change the location it cloned to, and the webpage said the cloned succeeded. I SSH into the NAS go to the supposed location of the clone (/mnt/PCE_RAID_POOL/clone-blah-blah...). I check the contents of the clone and I see all the directories that should be there, I then enter the PCE folder and it turns out the folder is empty :( likewise for all sub folders of /mnt/PCE_RAID_POOL/

2) Through a windows 7 client (using the latest updates and service pack from windows). I go to the PCE CIFS share that is mounted, pick a directory that I know has changed open the 'previous versions' explorer for this directory. It lists the months worth of snapshot. If I select a snapshot and to open it, the new explorer window open, but it says the directory is empty. If I try to copy the snapshot it gives me the "file could not be found" rubbish..

I have seen a lot of discussion about this, but haven't found a solution that sticks. To assist any of the smb4 boffens out there, I have attached my smb4.conf file for your review.. Hopefully it's a glaring omission on my part, and the problem can be fixed :)

Thanks for taking the time to read my post!

Attachments

• smb4.conf.txt
    11.2 KB · Views: 272
Status
Not open for further replies.