Issue accessing qBittorrent web UI.

Jensetho

Cadet
Hey, so I've just installed qBittorrent from the plugins list but when I attempt to visit the web UI all I get is a simple 'Unauthorized' on the resulting web page. I'm unsure exactly what's causing the issue, but it might be related to my LAN setup. I have my server plugged directly into my modem, and the other devices on my network connected to a Google Wifi mesh network which is set up as an IP passthrough in my modem's settings. I would greatly appreciate any pointers on how to troubleshoot this and/or get it in working order.

My server is a Lenovo ThinkServer TS140.

I have my server plugged directly into my modem

That seems very risky. Why can't you connect the server to a node on your Google Mesh WiFi, or even a simple unmanaged switch if you don't have enough physical ports available? When you say "modem", do you mean one of those hybrid devices that combines a home router with a cable modem?

When trying to connect to the qBittorrent web GUI, are you using port 8080 in the typed in URL address?

Last edited:

Jensetho

Cadet
Yeah, sorry, I should clarify. My modem is one of those AT&T hybrid modem/router boxes. So it's essentially plugged into a router. I'm doing that because directing the traffic through two routers was significantly throttling by upload speeds.

Also, yes, I was making sure to append the :8080 to the ip address of the qbittorrent instance.

Silly question, but what happens when you try to ping the plugin's IP address from your client PC?

Did you change the default jail properties after / during the plugin installation?

Try disabling Host Header Validation.

Open a Shell in your qBittorrent jail, and edit the file /.config/qBittorrent/qBittorrent.conf

Change the value from
WebUI\HostHeaderValidation=true
to
WebUI\HostHeaderValidation=false

Restart the plugin and see if you can access the Web GUI. I'm assuming your TrueNAS system and subsequent jails are not exposed outside your local network.

Last edited:

Jensetho

Cadet
No, no changes to the jail or plugin. In fact I've uninstalled/reinstalled it twice now. I just tried changing the config, oddly I didn't have the line 'WebUI\HostheaderValidation=true', so I just added 'WebUI\HostheaderValidation=false'. Unfortunately adding the line and restarting the plugin/jail seemed to have no effect.

Your assumption is mostly correct, but I have a jail with Plex running on it that I port forwarded. That should be the only thing visible to the outside world.

oddly I didn't have the line 'WebUI\HostheaderValidation=true'

To make sure, you're referring to the exact file located at:
/.config/qBittorrent/qBittorrent.conf ?

Not to be confused with:
~/.config/qBittorrent/qBittorrent.conf
or
/root/.config/qBittorrent/qBittorrent.conf

The absolute path is literally /.config/qBittorrent/

That line should exist, among many, many other lines, in the config file.

Also, check your capitalization:
WebUI\HostheaderValidation=false

The "H" in "header" needs to be capitalized.

Last edited:

Jensetho

Cadet
The lowercase 'h' was a typo in this post. I typed it in correctly in the console. Here's what I'm seeing for reference...

a.PNG
b.PNG

Something isn't right. That file is supposed to have dozens of lines. You said you installed the plugin via the Community section from the Plugins menu? (Not manually with a Jail from scratch?)

I'll try installing a new instance of qBittorrent plugin, since the one I installed was from earlier, and I just kept updating it since then.

EDIT: Just to eliminate another possibility, can you install a new instance of the plugin, but this time choose 12.1 as the base, instead of 12.2?

Last edited:
UPDATE: Wait a second. Are you manually entering the URL or clicking on "Manage" from the Plugin menu?

I never had luck with the shortcut "Manage" button from within TrueNAS, as I've always entered the URL manually into the address bar. (I made a Chromium / Chrome shortcut for convenience.)

Start from scratch, brand new plugin installation, but this time once everything is done, manually enter the URL into the address bar, such as: 192.168.1.123:8080 or http://192.168.1.123:8080

Even if the URL "looks right" and clicking "Refresh" doesn't work: manually enter the URL into the address bar in a new browser tab

Last edited:

Jensetho

Cadet
Oh schnapp. That seems to have been it. Punching the url in manually did the trick. I wonder why the 'Manage' hyperlink doesn't work...

Regardless, it works now. Thanks for helping me debug the issue! :smile:

fulder

Cadet
I wonder why the 'Manage' hyperlink doesn't work...

After testing this for a while I think I managed to find something about why it doesn't work from the "Manage" button. The difference between entering the URL in the browser manually and the button seems to be an extra Referer header sent while using this button. Sending this header makes the plugin UI return the unauthorized (401) code back to the client for some reason.

rayearth2000

Dabbler
Thanks a lot, I have the same issues with web GUI unauthorized, It fix now