iSCSI with VMware vSphere 6.7 - how to enable multipath in vSphere to TrueNAS 13 U1

Murphy1138

Dabbler
Hello, I have searched the internet and am coming up blank and have hit a wall and for the life of me I can't figure out why I can't get vSphere to multipath to TrueNAS 13 over iSCSI.
Any advice would be great.

my environment
3x ESXi hosts, with 2x dedicated iSCSI NICs going to iSCSI A and iSCSI B on my storage switch.
1x QNAP SAN 2x iSCSI NICs going to A and B (multi-path works fine here)
2x IBM SANS 4x iSCSI NICs going to A and B (multi-path works fine here too)
1x new TrueNAS 13 U1 build on a Dell RX740XD with a Management NIC (bge0) and 2x iSCSI NICs going to iSCSI A (ix0) and iSCSI B. (ix1)

TN_iscsi_1.png

Block storage is setup like this.

1659687979481.png

1659688020437.png

1659688090481.png

1659688160108.png

1659688210130.png

vSphere I have added dynamic discovery to iSCSI HBA with 172.21.10.121:3260 - Rescanned storage, setup VMS6 Datastores for both the HDD extent and the SSD extent.
1659688340575.png

in static discovery, I can see the extent presented on both iSCSI A and B
1659688485289.png

in storage devices, I can see both my data stores.
1659688638054.png

I only have one path connected

Attachments

• 1659688568773.png
    1659688568773.png
    41.3 KB · Views: 185

Murphy1138

Dabbler
vSPhere continued - Only one path shown
1659688851144.png

1659688910889.png

All my other non TrueNAS SANs/NASs when configuered in the same way attach multi-path.

What trick am I missing here, any help would be greatly appriciated.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
The only thing jumping out at me is the use of the 27 bit subnet mask. I'm not sure if that will be handled properly from a routing perspective on all sides...

Maybe look into either testing with Class C or start the hunt in both directions for routing tables and possible clashes.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Weird. The /27 means you're not overlapping your subnets, so it's not the obvious one.

Questions:

Are you using port binding for the iSCSI vmks on the host?
Is the scenario the same on all three hosts (static discovery shows multiple paths, devices has a single path only)?
Can you vmkping from each of the A->A and B->B paths without issue?

Murphy1138

Dabbler
Weird. The /27 means you're not overlapping your subnets, so it's not the obvious one.

Questions:

Are you using port binding for the iSCSI vmks on the host?
Is the scenario the same on all three hosts (static discovery shows multiple paths, devices has a single path only)?
Can you vmkping from each of the A->A and B->B paths without issue?
Hi thank you for your reply and sorry for the late reply. Turns out it was the switch port the snd iSCSI B cable was going into to was wrong.

the vmkping showed down, letting a junior datacenter chap plumb in the cables :rolleyes: thanks for the help!

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Hi thank you for your reply and sorry for the late reply. Turns out it was the switch port the snd iSCSI B cable was going into to was wrong.

the vmkping showed down, letting a junior datacenter chap plumb in the cables :rolleyes: thanks for the help!
Glad it was something minor. It's always worth working the OSI model from the bottom-up and asking "Is it plugged in?" before getting too deep anywhere else.

Assuming that's sorted - I assume you've done the necessary reading on how to stand TrueNAS up as a healthy and high-performance VM storage array? Specifically, there's a couple resources regarding sync write behavior (it needs to be forced to "always on" for the safety of your iSCSI data) and the preference for mirrors over RAIDZ

The R740XD is a fine starting platform certainly (any of the Dell XD's were, really) but there are a few caveats to watch out for, and if you're just getting started with this, it's best to nip them in the bud before loading a bunch of production data onto it.

Murphy1138

Dabbler
Glad it was something minor. It's always worth working the OSI model from the bottom-up and asking "Is it plugged in?" before getting too deep anywhere else.

Assuming that's sorted - I assume you've done the necessary reading on how to stand TrueNAS up as a healthy and high-performance VM storage array? Specifically, there's a couple resources regarding sync write behavior (it needs to be forced to "always on" for the safety of your iSCSI data) and the preference for mirrors over RAIDZ

The R740XD is a fine starting platform certainly (any of the Dell XD's were, really) but there are a few caveats to watch out for, and if you're just getting started with this, it's best to nip them in the bud before loading a bunch of production data onto it.
Thanks for the response and the links, that's my evening sorted out. Brilliant.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Thanks for the response and the links, that's my evening sorted out. Brilliant.
Apologies if I've given you a bunch of extra homework at the end of class. :smile:

Feel free to ask more questions, that's what we're here for.