iSCSI Problems - GlobalSan

TrevInCarlton

Dabbler
Hi, I have built a number of Freenas/Trunas servers over the last few years and have always manages to sort out my problems. However I now have a problem I just can't fix and seek help in trying to resolve the problem.

I had a server ,not sure what version of Trunas, but not up to date. I have an iMac connected to this server with iscsi running on Trunas and GlobalSan used on the iMac to connect to it. I copied all the data from the iscsi target as part of decommissioning the server. I made a backup of the server config and removed the volume from the server. I consequently repurposed the server with the latest version of Trunas. Here is where the problems start, due to mistakes on my part I accidentally deleted part of the iscsi backup. Having the original volume disks I rebuilt the old server, reinstalled the volume, added it to Trunas, and finally loaded in the config backup file. After restarting the server all looked ok with the volume layout and the iscsi service was running. Back to the iMac to connect but it now doesn't work, there is a connection but all I get from GlobalSan is the error "Connection Error 0.2.5. iSCSI Portal was not found at the 192.168.1.55 address"

What has gone wrong here ? The system is back where it was apart from an updated version of Trunas. I tried connecting through Windows, it connected but windows can't read the format of the volume created on the Mac. I am desperate to recover this data so any help would be greatly appreciated.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Hey @TrevInCarlton

I would double-check your current TrueNAS IP address - it might be that 192.168.1.55 was the assigned address before, and it's now changed to something new. Can you check from the TrueNAS system console or the webUI under the Network -> Interfaces menu?

Hopefully it's this simple!

TrevInCarlton

Dabbler
Hey @TrevInCarlton

I would double-check your current TrueNAS IP address - it might be that 192.168.1.55 was the assigned address before, and it's now changed to something new. Can you check from the TrueNAS system console or the webUI under the Network -> Interfaces menu?

Hopefully it's this simple!
I wish it was that simple, some progress though. I now get the error message "0.6.3. The requested iSCSI target name does not exist at specified address" It could be that I have screwed something up with the name (don't know if name is correct format) Have enclosed screen shot. Have also created a second ISCSI zvol just to test ,scuzzy-test.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-06 at 17.13.55.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-06 at 17.13.55.png
    246.8 KB · Views: 29

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Your iSCSI initiator may be looking for the "old" IQN (iSCSI Qualified Name) of the target there. Is there a configuration page within GlobalSAN that lets you specify the target name it's trying to log into? You might just need to rediscover the targets from the client-side, or else adjust the server-side name of the target/portal to match what's expected.

TrevInCarlton

Dabbler
Ok, problem solved
Your iSCSI initiator may be looking for the "old" IQN (iSCSI Qualified Name) of the target there. Is there a configuration page within GlobalSAN that lets you specify the target name it's trying to log into? You might just need to rediscover the targets from the client-side, or else adjust the server-side name of the target/portal to match what's expected.
Ok, well I sort of gave up with GlobalSan which I am phasing out anyway. I installed SCSCI Initiator X which in a number of ways is easier to use. A lot of trial and error, I set up numerous iSCSCI targets and using SCSCI Initiator X was able to logon to each new target. I found by deleting the entry in the Initiators Groups" I could replicate the problem on a working target. Knowing more now than when I started I just created a new target to my original scuzzy volume and have been able to logon without problems so just need to copy the data. As far as GlobalSan goes there is no configuration page but there is a box to type the name and I tried all the names that I had used and also the IQN names which I were able to get from iSCSCI Initiator X and it still did not work. I am abandoning iSCSCI so not too bothered that GlobalSan is no longer working.

Over the last few years I have had numerous minor problems that can't be explained, I do believe backing up and restoring configuration data does not always work the way it should, especially if restoring to a newer version of TrueNAS. I greatly appreciate advice given. Problem SOLVED