NullRoute

Cadet
TrueNAS-13.0-U3.1
Ubuntu 22.04

TrueNAS has three NICs:
1. Used for UI and Internet access
2. SAN subnet 1
3. SAN subnet 2

SAN NICs and Ubuntu SAN NICs connected to a separate switch with different VLANs.

On TrueNAS, I configured:
  1. Target Global Configuration using an iqn (what is this global target iqn actually used for?)
  2. Two portals, one for each subnet
  3. Two initiator groups, one with each subnet as the authorized network
  4. A CHAP user in an Access Authorizer group (for authN only, not discovery)
  5. A target using the same iqn as defined in the global configuration and two iSCSI Groups using the portal IDs (step 2) with the associated initiator group and the single authentication group (step 4)
  6. An extent for the zVol (set up previously)
  7. An associated target
Problem:
A target discovery from the client initiator (open-iscsi) on each interface...
# iscsiadm -m discovery -I iscsi{01,02} --op=new --op=del --type sendtargets --portal <ip>:3260

...returns targets for both subnets. This results in four targets instead of two and login timeouts. Multipath setup is working fine (after further setup) and manual removal of the extra files and symlinks under /etc/iscsi. There must be a simple solution to this, but it escapes me.

Should I have two separate targets, one per portal?
Should the iqn for each target be some variation of the global target?

BTW, when I had a single portal I could discover both targets on one NIC but iscsiadm complained of "No route to host" on the other, even though ping and even telnet to tcp/3260 were working fine. However, if there is some magic to make all of this work with a single portal, I'm open to hearing about it.

Any pointers appreciated!