iSCSI based ESXi 6.7U3 VM's how to Snapshot individual VMs

Hjrr

Dabbler
Running FreeNAS 11.3u5. I have a 3 Server ESXi cluster all connected to a iSCSI share. All the VMs are located on the iSCSI share.
I can of course take a snapshot in VCenter, but when I tried to take a VM SNAPSHOT in FreeNAS it wants to snapshot the entire ESXi DataStore (shows local drives and iSCSI drive) share.

How to take an individual VM snapshot from FreeNAS? What happens if I click SAVE (below)? I do NOT want a snapshot of this entire drive.
Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 11.30.05 PM.png

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
How to take an individual VM snapshot from FreeNAS? What happens if I click SAVE (below)? I do NOT want a snapshot of this entire drive.
Looks like you need to re-engineer your setup to solve your request.

You need one ZVOL per VM if you're going to snapshot individual VMs.

If you want to continue as you are, you will get a snapshot covering the entire zvol for each of your machine snapshots (remembering that this doesn't actually represent a lot more data if nothing else is changing, so maybe that's OK), but in that snapshot, only the VM being targeted will have been forced to coalesce, so the references to all the other virtual disks will be untrustworthy.

blanchet

Guru
Indeed you would like to use VMware VVOL with TrueNAS. Unfortuntealy it is still not supported yet. If you instist you can emulate vvol by creating a ZVOL per VM as @sretalla said but it is totally unmanageable.

If you want individual VM backup, use Veeam.

Last edited:

blanchet

Guru
Yes, with the Veeam Backup Communitity Edtion you can protect up to 10 VMs. It should be enough for many small businesses.
If you prefer an open-source tool, I heard that bareos can also do the job, but I have never tried.

Hjrr

Dabbler
ok, Installed VEEAM, added storage , have access to VMs and Backup storage but the jobs die with pre-job error, I opened a ticket with Veeam.

HONESTLY all this b*llshit, WHY DON'T I just take a periodic CLONE of the VM and put it on secondary storage, even without doing snapshots to save space this would be a totally workable solution. Anyone got a script that works with VMWARE and FreeNAS!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 10.25.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 10.25.22 PM.png
    12 KB · Views: 145

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Anyone got a script that works with VMWARE and FreeNAS!
These are the extent of what I know exists:

This post has a number of interesting ideas:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Haven't you guys heard of ghettoVCB? One stop solution, does all your automated VMware backups, as long as you have a second datastore on e.g. NFS to backup to ...

Completely open source, of course.

sretalla