Is this worth it for long term use?

Whattteva

Wizard
I'm going to be pulling the trigger on an HP ProLiant DL390 Gen9 with these specs for around $1000 shipped.
- 12 LFF bays.
- 2x 14-core E-2680V4 2.4 GHz
- 64 GB RAM (probably going to up this to 128 GB RAM).
- HP P840 4G (do I need to replace this with a different card?)
- 6x 3TB SAS

Is this powerful and power efficient enough to run for at least 5 years? The price looks like a decent deal or am I wrong?
This will be replacing two machines I currently have, which are:
- Supermicro SYS5018D-MF with i3-4160 32 GB RAM. This is currently running TrueNAS CORE baremetal.
- Old consumer-grade desktop running an i3-3220T with 16 GB RAM. This machine is my Proxmox hypervisor. Currently runs OPNsense, a FreeBSD, and a Debian VM's. I'd like to run more, but it just doesn't have enough RAM for it. It's pretty rock solid as a router though.

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
Is this powerful and power efficient enough to run for at least 5 years?
That is a very subjective question. Is it powerful enough? It depends on what you are doing with it. 14 cores/28 threads X2 is a lot and would be so much overkill for myself. Of course I'd be running ESXi as my Hypervisor and then all the VM's I could ever think of. Is it power efficient? TDP is 120W per CPU and it was marketed in 2016 so it's a 6 year old CPU. But you are combining several systems into a single system so I would generally say it's more power efficient than the individual systems combined, but this device will have two high performance CPU's so it may still be more efficient but it just depends on your use. Will it last 5 Years? Who knows. In general electronics will last at least 10 years for good quality parts but used means "As-Is" and I assume it's a used system so I'd replace all the fans with new fans and hope it's a good buy.

I assume you will be running a lot of VM's? I don't see the need for all the CPU cores unless that is your goal.

Whattteva

Wizard
That is a very subjective question. Is it powerful enough? It depends on what you are doing with it. 14 cores/28 threads X2 is a lot and would be so much overkill for myself. Of course I'd be running ESXi as my Hypervisor and then all the VM's I could ever think of. Is it power efficient? TDP is 120W per CPU and it was marketed in 2016 so it's a 6 year old CPU. But you are combining several systems into a single system so I would generally say it's more power efficient than the individual systems combined, but this device will have two high performance CPU's so it may still be more efficient but it just depends on your use. Will it last 5 Years? Who knows. In general electronics will last at least 10 years for good quality parts but used means "As-Is" and I assume it's a used system so I'd replace all the fans with new fans and hope it's a good buy.

I assume you will be running a lot of VM's? I don't see the need for all the CPU cores unless that is your goal.
Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah, part of the reason why I'm getting it is cause the VM host, currently is the i3-3220T, which is woefully underpowered, not to mentioned has only 16 GB of RAM causing crashes if I try to boot up more than 3 VM's.

I'm going to be running OPNsense, TrueNAS Core, a vanilla FreeBSD, a Debian, an Arch, a Windows 11 Pro, a MacOS. Possibly a couple more rotating list of OS's, but probably nothing permanent unlike the aforementioned ones. I think MacOS only works on Proxmox, so I may end up not using that if I go with ESXi.