Is this a reasonable way to migrate my boot disk from USB to SSD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hungarianhc

Patron
I have an 8GB boot drive that I've been using forever. I also have an SSD in the system. If I go to the boot pool page and attach the SSD, then it's set up as a mirror. If I then just detach the USB drive, and I reboot, am I good to go? It seems like there's something I'm missing.

m0nkey_

MVP
Simplest way is to backup your config and re-install onto the SSD.

Once you've installed FreeNAS, simply restore your config. Do not import your pool. At the next reboot, everything will be back to how is was before.

hungarianhc

Patron
Simplest way is to backup your config and re-install onto the SSD.

Once you've installed FreeNAS, simply restore your config. Do not import your pool. At the next reboot, everything will be back to how is was before.
I am familiar w/ that method, and I'm not against it, but it's not as simple as a few UI clicks. This would involve me plugging ethernet into my IPMI port, dealing w/ the poor UI, burning a freenas IMG file to USB, etc. The method I mentioned is much simpler, but... does it work? I could just give it a try, but I'm curious if this is one that works.

m0nkey_

MVP
Probably, but why create risk of not booting and having to use your IPMI anyway?

Your IPMI most likely supports mounting the ISO directly without having to write it to a USB drive first.

hungarianhc

Patron
Probably, but why create risk of not booting and having to use your IPMI anyway?

Your IPMI most likely supports mounting the ISO directly without having to write it to a USB drive first.
Didn't realize there was a risk of not booting involved... Kinda why I was asking... How is the risk of not booting with my method higher than with a manual reinstall?

m0nkey_

MVP
Didn't realize there was a risk of not booting involved... Kinda why I was asking... How is the risk of not booting with my method higher than with a manual reinstall?
You will likely have to change the boot order. That will require going into the BIOS, which will likely involve the IPMI ;)

danb35

Hall of Famer
Status
Not open for further replies.