Is there plugin for scanner/printer?

kristen

Dabbler
Hi

Is there plugin for scanner/printer? I want scan image from my printer/scanner via network.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
You're better off getting a dedicated network to USB print server. IOGear has a pretty good one for $50.

Dan Tudora

Patron
or, maybe a printer/scanner/multifunctional device with network interface (is something like 100-120 euro second hand)

I waiting for years now a plugin to make doughnuts and/or fried potatoes with no luck

Yorick

Wizard
Is there plugin for scanner/printer? I want scan image from my printer/scanner via network.

Probably not, but you could franken-build something.
- No USB in use on TrueNAS Core at all
- Oh yeah, TrueNAS Core
- Pass USB controller through to bhyve - that's right the entire thing
- Install VM that has an OS that knows how to use the scanner and can make it available on the network - likely this will be Windows. Caveat about virtio and having enough RAM. Use that pass-through device for this VM
- Configure OS to "do the thing"
- Become a cynical sysadmin in the process
- Profit?
- Say %&$*&#$ it and buy a new networked printer

Pipermania

Cadet
I agree that the best option in your case would be to buy a new printer with full Internet support. I had an old printer that I wanted to connect in a similar way, but there were always some errors. I even used external peripherals (total cost about 170 euros), but I got them for free due to the fact that I had several unused components at work, which my boss allowed me to pick up. More often than not, I got an unknown error that prevented me from printing pages. Judging by the logs, it was a toner shortage problem. This is completely wrong as I replaced the cartridge before use, thanks to https://www.mrdepot.ca/collections/canon-toner-cartridges, so that was definitely not the problem. If I connect the printer directly to my regular PC, which I use every day, then there are no problems. In the end, I decided to just buy a good Wi-Fi printer and absolutely do not regret it. I advise you to do the same.

Dan Tudora

Patron
hello
so long time a go (before 2000 year I think) must to resolve similar problem
networking printer has "rara avis" and verYYYYYYYY expensive
take a USB print server and connect a USB printer Cannon something to that print server
BUT print server have a list of USB printer with will work, not ALL
scratch my head
nothing good result, just dandruff over my shoulders
after that I recycle an old computer and install a firewall software (yes firewall !!!) IPCop respectively, what have a SMB/CIFS plugin and share the print on the network and ALL was happy
end of story