Is there a way to tell if a scrub is needed before attempting to OFFLINE a disk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan W. Smtih

Explorer
I'm doing a read-thru of Replacing a Failed Drive for my FreeNAS 9.10 system before actually going through the process.

There is a note after the first step (which is to OFFLINE the disk) that says:

> If the process of changing the disk’s status to OFFLINE fails with a “disk offline failed - no valid replicas” message, the ZFS volume must be scrubbed first with the Scrub Volume button in Storage → Volumes → View Volumes. After the scrub completes, try to Offline the disk again before proceeding.

That "disk offline failed..." message obviously works as an indication that the scrub is needed. But, I like trying to avoid any messages with "failed" in them.

So, I'm wondering if there is a way to tell prior to attempting to OFFLINE a disk if a scrub is required.

Is there some way to figure that out?

danb35

Hall of Famer

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
That warning applies to a really nasty edge case that you want to stay well away from: Besides the failing drive you want to replace, another drive is having trouble and is missing some data.

Come to think of it, that warning doesn't make much sense taken at face value. It only makes sense if corruption was detected but not yet fixed - when does that ever happen, if redundancy is available? I can't really come up with a recoverable situation that would cause this error under these conditions...

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I guess the tl;dr of this warning is "Keep your pools in non-horrible condition". Scrub regularly to a decent schedule (every two weeks, for instance), don't let failures accumulate, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.