Is the Crashplan functionality reliable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

symowallo

Cadet
Hi all,

I have an HP N36L Microserver currently running WHS 2011. Its time has finished, as one of the disks has died. So rather than continuing down the WHS route, I was going to give FreeNAS a go after I replace the disk. This is for in the home - streaming, data storage, PC backups, torrents etc.

I currently use Crashplan cloud backup (paid) and I am very happy with it. I'm hoping that I can use it with FreeNAS, and I noticed that there's a plug-in for it. Is it reliable, and is it worth pursuing? I want the server to be basically the only device in my house that runs 24/7 so setting up another box to backup the NAS is not an option.

Interested in hearing opinions and experiences. I don't want local backups as my only backup - I want automated cloud backups which is why I went down the Crashplan route. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

fullmetaljester

Dabbler
you will need a Windows VM atleast to run the Crashplan client, you then have the client setup to listen to a remote system and point the FreeNAS plugin at the Windows box for the connection to Crashplan's servers. It seems to work well enough from my reading and there is some support from Crashplan with this setup.

fracai

Guru
I think the early releases of the plugin had some problems, but it seems like those have been ironed out. There do seem to be a number of people using the plugin. The one downside is that you have to wait for the plugin to be updated; currently it's a release behind (I presume it's waiting on an update the FreeBSD port that the plugin is based on). If that's a deal killer, there are instructions for installing it to a regular jail; note that this would require a bit of effort on your part to get going.

I have no idea what fullmetaljester is talking about requiring a Windows VM.

symowallo

Cadet
Thanks for the response guys. fullmetaljester - needing a Windows VM kills it for me, so I'm hoping that fracai is right...

I don't mind a bit of effort if it works - I have come to value a totally automated unattended backup after the most recent failure.

Michael Wulff Nielsen

Contributor
I use the crashplan plugin. It works very well, and I have had no reliability issues with it at all.

Most of the time I forget it's even there.

You will need to do a headless crashplan setup using a desktop computer. That can be done from a linux, windows or mac box. You can follow this guide: https://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/Latest/Configuring/Configuring_A_Headless_Client

I believe that is what fullmetaljester is talking about.

symowallo

Cadet
Thanks Michael, disappointing to know but thank you for taking the time to reply.

I was hoping that I wouldn't need to run another machine to do the actual backups, to save power. I guess a Raspberry Pi would be an option though.

Michael Wulff Nielsen

Contributor
You don't. It's just for the initial configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.