is it safe to add "www" as owner for primary dataset ?

sulfy

Cadet
Hello All, Im new to FreeNAS and i would like to use my primary dataset with sensitive data to be accessible as external storage for nextcloud. May i know is it a safe practice to add www as owner for my primary dataset / is it safe to use primary dataset as external storage for nextcloud ?

Any help will be highly appreciated, Thank you.

garm

Wizard
Sounds like a bad idea all around.. just migrate your stuff to Nextcloud proper

sulfy

Cadet
again is it okey to keep primary datas inside a jail ? may be a newbie question

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
What's a primary dataset? If you dedicate a dataset to nextcloud it makes perfect sense to set the owner to "www" and mount it inside your nextcloud jail, then configure it as the nextcloud data directory.

HTH,
Patrick

sulfy

Cadet
What's a primary dataset? If you dedicate a dataset to nextcloud it makes perfect sense to set the owner to "www" and mount it inside your nextcloud jail, then configure it as the nextcloud data directory.

HTH,
Patrick

yes that's exactly what I'm doing right now. my concern is regarding safety of a folder when its group / owner set to "www" , only nextcloud will access the folder or any web application can ?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
This is not a FreeNAS specific question and depends entirely on the correct configuration of the web server you use for the Nextcloud installation. You can find templates for Apache and Nginx here:

I use Nginx and Nextcloud in a jail and it works great.

HTH,
Patrick

P.S. The key part of the config is this - denying access to the data directory (which is where your dataset would probably be mounted.
Code:
location / {
    rewrite ^ /index.php;
}

location ~ ^\/(?:build|tests|config|lib|3rdparty|templates|data)\/ {
    deny all;
}
location ~ ^\/(?:\.|autotest|occ|issue|indie|db_|console) {
    deny all;
}

sulfy

Cadet
Thank you , may I know what group www means ? Who will be able to access those files ?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Group "www" is a system group with the user "www" as the only member by default. It's there so you can add additional users to have more granular access rights. If you did not do that, you are probably fine.