Is Bhyve completely broken?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fongaboo

Dabbler
I had experienced this problem trying to get a Windows VM up and running on my FreeNAS my first time out. I just recently tried installing Linux Mint in a VM and got similar results: VM freezes up during install, VNC device conks out shortly after, VM then stops, UEFI prompt comes up when trying to boot off its zvol.

I've seen some chatter about an issue waiting to be fixed upstream in Bhyve. But is it across the board for everyone and every guest OS? What is going on?

Also how does iohyve differ from Bhyve as it is presented in the FreeNAS GUI? Would it help any to try a guide like this? Or is that not really applicable in 11.x?

Are there any alternative hypervisors that could be run in a jail on FreeNAS in lieu of Bhyve? So far it's proven useless.

EDIT: Just tried Ubuntu with pretty much identical results except the VNC device hasn't conked out yet.

Last edited:

Fongaboo

Dabbler
Do you mean VirtIO? Giving it a try... But doesn't that need drivers installed in the guest OS to work?

scrappy

Patron
Hardware related issue/configuration? I can't remember a Bhyve VM ever crashing on my servers. In my experience, Bhyve has been incredibly stable.

KrisBee

Wizard
Do you mean VirtIO? Giving it a try... But doesn't that need drivers installed in the guest OS to work?

Yes, they should be in-built for linux , but for Windows you'll need a virtio driver iso from here: https://docs.fedoraproject.org/quic...ws-virtual-machines-using-virtio-drivers.html

Bhyve is no totally broken, bhyve VMs may be stable once installed, but installation is currently hampered by flaky bhyve vnc console/webvnc which is picky about vnc clients, does no support non-US keymaps properly and stalls on installing guest OS whose EFI implementation is not as the byhve UEFI firmware expects.

For linux OS installation try hitting enter a few times when using the bhyve vnc console. If things appear dead on 1st post-install boot, wait and you may after a few minutes be dropped to the EFI shell. Learn how to navigate to the boot64.efi and the required post install EFI fix for some Linux distros.

For debian/ubuntu execute as root: grub-install --efi-directory=/boot/efi --boot-directory=/boot --removable

Last edited by a moderator:

Fongaboo

Dabbler
Yes, they should be in-built for linux , but for Windows you'll need a virtio driver iso from here: https://docs.fedoraproject.org/quick-docs/en-US/creating-windows-virtual-machines-using-virtio-drivers.html
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/quic...ws-virtual-machines-using-virtio-drivers.html

So I believe I tried this. To be explicit, I downloaded the VirtIO drivers, changed the disk device to VirtIO, created a second CD-ROM device with the VirtIO ISO, ran the installer, then in the initial screens of the WIndows install I chose the option to load a driver. I selected the proper path on the ISO and then began the normal installation. It still crashed.

Is what I did what you're suggesting?

For debian/ubuntu execute as root: grub-install --efi-directory=/boot/efi --boot-directory=/boot --removable

OK if I am following you, my install may very well have completed, but the VNC device is what crashed. And then on a reboot, UEFI is not properly connected so I am stuck until I run the above command?

The other bummer is however this lockup is manifesting, it kills my whole FreeNAS sometimes temporarily, sometimes indefinitely.

asroman

Cadet
Did you check if your CPU has the features to support virtualization? (ch.14 in the current doc)

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Fongaboo

Dabbler

So I haven't gone back to Windows yet, but I seemingly got LinuxMint and Ubuntu to work after switching disk and NIC to VirtIO. However when I restarted LinuxMint now I just get the UEFI Interactive Shell.

When I try to run that first command, I get:

Code:
'grub-install' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or script file.

KrisBee

Wizard
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.