vnc support in bhyve - FreeNAS 9.10.2.-U1

Status
Not open for further replies.

biGdada

Dabbler
hi guys.
i'm trying to install a win10 vm on bhyve using iohyve.
somehow i got an impression that vnc console is supposed to work, but i'm getting a black screen when i'm trying to connect.

these are the commands i'm using:
Code:
iohyve create win10 16G
iohyve set win10 loader=uefi ram=1024M vnc_ip=0.0.0.0 cpu=2 vnc=YES vnc_port=5900 vnc_wait=YES vnc_tablet=YES
iohyve set win10 bargs="-H -w"
iohyve set win10 fw=BHYVE_UEFI.fd
iohyve install win10 Windows.iso

is it even supposed to work or should I wait for FreeNAS 10?

Last edited by a moderator:

m0nkey_

MVP
FreeBSD 10.3 which FreeNAS 9.10 is based on, does not currently support VGA consoles.

D

dlavigne

Please create a ticket at bugs.freenas.org and post the issue number here. In the ticket, use a "Seen In" of "Master - FreeNAS Nightlies", an "Assignee" of "Marcelo Araujo", and indicate that it still does not work.

biGdada

Dabbler
Please create a ticket at bugs.freenas.org and post the issue number here. In the ticket, use a "Seen In" of "Master - FreeNAS Nightlies", an "Assignee" of "Marcelo Araujo", and indicate that it still does not work.
Issue #21191 created.

m0nkey_

MVP
@dlavigne, Kris has closed the ticket, thinking it was FN10. I have left a comment asking to re-evaluate the bug ticket.

filipole

Cadet
Just had a go at Win10 installation on the latest 9.10 Nighty and Windows installation works without any problems
Steps are simple:
1. Create ZVOL for the VM disk (I had SPARSE tick on, not sure if block size need to be changed - I left on default 16k)
2. Create VM
3. Modify VNC device setting port
4. Add Disk device pointing to created earlier ZVOL
5. Add CDROM device pointing to Windows iso image
6. Start VM
7. Connect with VNC - if you fast enough, you can press "any button" to boot from CDROM, if not you drop to Shell; type "exit", Select CDROM as boot device; Continue and press "any key" to boot from CDROM
8. After the first part of install complete, VM stops. Change CDROM device to point to null iso and start VM again to continue with Windows install

biGdada

Dabbler
That's great, but I was talking about 9.10.2-U1 and iohyve and not nightly with its new VM tab.

Status
Not open for further replies.