Introduction + New Build: plans, questions and more!

All the questions mentioned in the thread!

• RAIDZ1 (3 data drives, one parity drive and one hot spare)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • RAIDZ2 (3 data drives, 2 parity drives)

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • Truenas Core ("dont experiment with the OS, silly!")

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Truenas Scale (Risk OS bricking, but "should" be safe)

• Onboard SATA's -> Do not use!

• Onboard SATA's -> use, but.... (please explain :) )

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • System Specs -> OK

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • System Specs -> Er.. Not okay?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Matthias

Explorer
Hi all!

Let me first introduce myself a tiny bit before i fire my plans and questions away :wink:.

My name is Matt, and I'm Belgian. A bit of a petrolhead, spacenerd, and IT "enthousiast"..
So i love very fast things! :tongue::grin:

Some time ago i had a slight cardiac arrest, when i was messing around with my gaming PC setting up RAID Nvme's, when it decided that all my connected HDD's needed changes in their GPT/FS structure too... Resulting in weird things happening when accessing the data...

I managed to retrieve all of my data back (using DMDE) without any issues, so that cardiac arrest was not permanent XD..

Now i know that it's not that smart to fiddle with the controllers, especially when they have drives attached with important data.. Silly me..

I have been following FreeBSD/Freenas way back, some 6-7 years ago i think, and finally decided to build a NAS where i put my data on, away from my experiments.. :rolleyes:

So, whenever everything arrives from my orders, i will be jumping in the world of ZFS and Trunas Core (or Scale?).

The List:
WhatDescriptionPNQTY
HDDSeagate HDD 3.5 EXOS X16 16TBST16000NM001G
5​
HDDWD Red 8TB EFZX
1​
HDDWD White label 8TB EMAZ
2​
MoboAsrock E3C246D4U2-2L2T Intel C246 LGA 1151E3C246D4U2-2L2T
1​
RAMKingston Technology KSM26ES8/16ME 16 GB DDR4 2666 MHz ECCKSM26ES8/16ME
2​
OS HDDSamsung evo 870 500GBMZ-77E500B/EU
2​
HBAIBM M1015IBM M1015
2​
CaseFractal Design Node 804
1​
PSUSeasonic PRIME GX-650
1​
HDD CBLDeLOCK Mini SAS SFF-8087 to 4x SATA 7 pin
2​
CPUIntel Xeon E-2234 processorCM8068404174806
1​

The plan/use:

Main goal: create a safer and redundant storage pool, with critical files synced to an external drive and cloud. (mostly pictures/docs.. ), all the rest of the data would be painfull to lose, but certainly not critical.

In that way the critical data is on site on a redundant array, could be physically moved taking the external drive (house on fire o_O), and is backupped to the cloud (house on fire too fast/all drives lost :eek:).

The plan is to put my data, which is currently on the 3x 8TB drives as seperate volumes (windows 11), centralized on the NAS i'll be building.
For now, that's my main goal, but i would like to sync my google services, maybe plex, run the occasional test VM.

Then i will eject those three drives from my desktop to my NAS, and do something with it, not sure what exaclty (maybe a backup for critical data).

So, concerning "the list", i know it's probably overkill, but i rather buy something that's more then sufficient, rather then be bottlenecked..

The questions:

So starting with the mobo:

-> Do i need to flash the internal SATA controller, like recommended for those M1015's IT mode?
Not sure if Truenas will be able to connect to the drives in a direct way. (SATA only board, so probaly not possible too?)
This, off course, in the event i hook up disks to the mobo. I presume it's recommended/preferred to use the HBA's instead of the onboard SATA's?

-> For now i've gone with 2x 16GB of ECC RAM, i hope that's sufficient to start, but can be expanded to 128GB.

VDEV's:
-> 5x 16TB Exos drives
-> 3x 8TB (mix of RED and 2 White's)
-> 2x 500GB Samsung Evo's (OS installation)

So for the 16TB drives, would you guy's opt for RAIDZ1 + hot spare (3 disks + parity disk + hot spare), or a RAIDZ2 (3 Disks + 2 parity disks).
I cannot decide..

I figure that the first is "more secure" in the event that i lose a drive as with the hot spare it would resilver instantly? In the second case i'd have to get spare drives and then rebuild the data. (but imagine this will go faster as it has 2 parity drives to resilver?)

I'd like to hear your recommendations pro's/cons on this.

As for the 8TB drives, a raid 5 or 1:1:1 mirror, not quite sure yet.

(Depending on your thoughts about the onboard SATA's, i will connect all the HDD's through 1x M1015, and then the OS SSD's to the 2nd M1015 or the Mobo directly.)

To Scale or not to Scale?

I understand that Scale is still experimental, but if i understand correctly, is more suited for running VM's.
Also, in the event the OS bricks, it should be a piece of cake retrieving back the VDEV/config of the drives as it is stored on the drives itself right?

If my assumptions are correct, i think i will go for Scale, as my data is very likely not to be at risk. (not 100% fullproof, i know, but what is?)

The build/install checklist:
- Test the Memory (couple of full passes)
- Change the FW on those M1015's and verify it is set to IT mode
- Install OS on 1 drive + basic OS config
- Mount the 16TB drives and run full disk test
- Create The VDEV 'OS' (Mirror OS to second SSD drive)
- Create The VDEV '16TB disks' (RAIDZ1 or 2?)
- copy data to 16TB VDEV
- Remove 3x 8TB from my DT and configure them in Truenas.

This is off course very 'raw' and subject to change.

Future expansion:

I understand it is not that straightforward to expand the VDEV's by simply putting in extra drives, but that it will require a full HDD swap (new VDEV) to accomodate bigger storage capacity. By the time i will use all the space from the 16TB array, there will be larger drives on the market so i can 'juggle' between the 3 disks array and then the 5 disks array, and so on... (or get a larger case/rack to house it all)

With my current components i can house 16 drives through the 2 M1015's, and depending on the mobo controllers, maybe 15 more.
If CPU is not adequate enough -> E-2288G to double the core & thread count, and can expand to 128GB of ECC when needed.

This mobo comes with 2x 10GBe NIC's (Intel® X550-AT2) (and 2x GBe by Intel® i210), so 10 gig is covered. My house still needs an upgrade to these speeds, but in due time when needed. I think that the only route where 10GBe is beneficial or needed, is from my desktop straight to the NAS.

As i will be a 'first timer' to install, explore and configurate Truenas for real (ran freenas in VM's to play around), i hope the ease of Freenas and off course this vast community will come to the rescue when needed :tongue:.

I will try and update this thread as i progress on the build.

Any advice, comments, tips, suggestions, ... are very welcome, and last but not least, a very happy NE to all of you!

Many thanks,

Greetz,

Matt

Last edited:

Matthias

Explorer
Update on the partslist:

WhatDescriptionPNQTYSTATUS
HDDSeagate HDD 3.5 EXOS X16 16TBST16000NM001G5IN
HDDWD Red 8TB EFZX1IN
HDDWD White label 8TB EMAZ2IN
MoboAsrock E3C246D4U2-2L2T Intel C246 LGA 1151E3C246D4U2-2L2T1IN
RAMKingston Technology KSM26ES8/16ME geheugenmodule 16 GB DDR4 2666 MHz ECCKSM26ES8/16ME2IN
OS HDDSamsung evo 870 500GBMZ-77E500B/EU2IN
HBAIBM M1015IBM M10152IN
CaseFractal Design Node 8041IN
PSUSeasonic PRIME GX-6501IN
HDD CBLDeLOCK Mini SAS SFF-8087 naar 4x SATA 7 pin2IN
CPUIntel Xeon E-2234 processorCM80684041748061ETA 25/01

So yeah.. waiting on the last bit!

Matthias

Explorer
Got all the components, and installed TrueNAS Core U.8 succesfully!

I am however getting frustrated getting my M1015's to IT firmware... HELP?:eek:

Tried several guides/pages:

+ several others, but with far fewer info.
Also, the files and links were half dead for all the URLs i tried, so i googled all the files from various locations.

-> Cannot get megarec nor sas2flash to work on my mobo. Tried EFI/BIOS.

When going trough BIOS (not uefi for megarec, as i found out its MSDOS only) i get the message "invalid MS DOS version" or command errors that mention Megarec does not exist.
Though i triplechecked the USB (FAT32, all tools/files are present on root).

Through EFI, i can get through, but again no succes in even listing the drives through the sas2flash utility.

Are there better guides to follow?

Thank you

jgreco

Resident Grinch
flash the internal SATA controller

No. The internal SATA controller has no firmware. It's just a dumb bit of silicon. An HBA is a small computer all on its own, so you need to be able to talk to it in the proper way. Driver and firmware have to speak the exact same dialect.

I presume it's recommended/preferred to use the HBA's instead of the onboard SATA's?

Either way is fine. Onboard SATA is slightly faster for things like SSD.

I am however getting frustrated getting my M1015's to IT firmware... HELP?:eek:

I've found systems where it was difficult/impossible to do the crossflashing. You can try a different PC. You also have the option to buy preflashed cards on sites such as eBay. Since you are essentially "hacking" on a card, the process isn't always easy or familiar to those not used to using embedded system tools.

2x 10GBe NIC's (Intel® X550-AT2) (and 2x GBe by Intel® i210), so 10 gig is covered.

This is not particularly recommended. We've just come off a brief discussion earlier today about this --

and the fact is that there aren't a lot of good copper choices. If you're terrified of fiber or don't understand the issues, please do feel free to stop by this thread:

The SFP+ stuff remains cheaper and maybe also easier.

Matthias

Explorer
No. The internal SATA controller has no firmware. It's just a dumb bit of silicon. An HBA is a small computer all on its own, so you need to be able to talk to it in the proper way. Driver and firmware have to speak the exact same dialect.

Either way is fine. Onboard SATA is slightly faster for things like SSD.

I've found systems where it was difficult/impossible to do the crossflashing. You can try a different PC. You also have the option to buy preflashed cards on sites such as eBay. Since you are essentially "hacking" on a card, the process isn't always easy or familiar to those not used to using embedded system tools.

This is not particularly recommended. We've just come off a brief discussion earlier today about this --

and the fact is that there aren't a lot of good copper choices. If you're terrified of fiber or don't understand the issues, please do feel free to stop by this thread:

The SFP+ stuff remains cheaper and maybe also easier.
Thank you for your very fast reply!
Appreciate that very much ;)

For the copper networking, i read about that and came to the same conclusion after ordering that mobo.. ah well.. i'm not the networking guy XD.

I hoped to use the big pcie lanes on my mobo for those m1015's, but i'll consider going fiber. And if x4 physical cards exist, it's a no-brainer.

As for the two HBA's, i already bought them so i'd like to get them running properly. Didn't try different system so great suggestion!

Just want to be able to fit a lot of hdd's so i figured those as they are highly recommended.

I did however used the onboard sata's for the 2 ssd's during install. ;)

I'll give it another run tomorrow ;)

Thanks again!

Matthias

Explorer
Install sidenote:

When selecting the install target, you can select multiple target drives, as in my 2 listed ssd's.

However the guide (see below) mentions that you map it via system > boot > .... if you want the boot dev's mirrored.

So i went on with just one selected.

Is this the same thing, or a different functionallity?

That would be great if it was, mirroring options through the installer.

For the mirror, it worked flawlessly with the guide (i think?), like everything so far with TrueNAS!

Just figured i'd ask and learn!

Thank you!

sretalla