Internet Speed CloudSync Task

Eviva ED

Dabbler
**Subject: Need Help with Slow Cloud Sync Task Speeds on a Custom TrueNAS Build**

Hello everyone,

I've recently put together a custom TrueNAS setup and I'm encountering an issue that I'm hoping someone can help me solve. Here's a brief overview of my system:

- **Motherboard**: MSI
- **CPU**: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 6 cores, 12 threads
- **RAM**: 64GB
- **Storage**: 73TB total capacity
- **Internet Speed**: 440 Mbps download, 330 Mbps upload
- **Network Adapters**: Connected via two 100BaseTX adapters

The primary use case for this build is for storing a significant amount of data and performing regular cloud sync tasks with OneDrive. However, I've run into a frustrating issue: the internet speed during these cloud sync tasks is extremely slow. Despite my internet connection being quite fast, I'm only seeing around 6 MiB/s per task, with network adapter speeds showing 11.72 MiB/s in and 578 KiB/s out, which is far below what I was expecting.

I've attempted several troubleshooting steps to enhance the TrueNAS performance, including adjusting settings and considering hardware upgrades, but so far, I haven't found a solution that significantly improves the situation. Given the robustness of my setup, especially with such a powerful processor, ample RAM, and high-speed internet, I was anticipating much faster data transfer rates.

Could the bottleneck be related to the use of 100BaseTX network adapters in a setup that demands higher throughput for cloud sync tasks? Or is there a configuration within TrueNAS that I'm missing which could unlock higher speeds?

I would greatly appreciate any advice, suggestions, or insights on how I can improve my cloud sync task speeds. Whether it's a hardware upgrade, a configuration tweak, or something else entirely, I'm all ears. Thank you in advance for your help!

chuck32

Guru
is there a configuration within TrueNAS that I'm missing which could unlock higher speeds?
Show your cloud sync task configuration.

1711964492828.png

Increase the number under transfers. Make sure no bandwidth limit is set.

You can also consider, should be unrelated to the speed, fast list. This will reduce the number of calls, with backblaze I had problems that I would otherwise hit my limit of daily free transactions.

Eviva ED

Dabbler
hello thanks you very much for the replay. In my case, i dont se that options, maybe it can be because is the truenas core and not the scale?
1711965497977.png

chuck32

Guru
1711969800990.png

Click on the question mark next to it on the right, Put in 16 or or more and test again.

chuck32

Guru
Try even higher then. To which storage provider are you uploading? Maybe they are the bottleneck.

If you have a VM running do a Speedtest

Or see if core has a jail for that.

Eviva ED

Dabbler
hello good morning, well. i put 10.000 but the diference its minimum, ill check the jail you send by other hand. im downloading the datas from onedrive for business. I already have another jail for the speed on my truenas and this are the results
1712047093009.png

If i check it on speedtest.net,this are the results there is a really big diference...
1712047166100.png

chuck32

Guru
Is Speedtest from a different machine that your server?

Can you show in detail your network setup? How is everything connected, what switches etc. are used?

But even with 80mbit the bottleneck may seem to be the storage provider you upload to not making full use of your connection.

Eviva ED

Dabbler
okay perfect there you have the internet connection settings.
1712054133465.png
1712054157150.png
1712054183320.png
1712054218565.png
lenguage is on english if you need it i can change it. About the conection, i put 2 USB adaptors of USB 3.0 To Gigabit Ethernet, USB To Ethernet Adapter,
1712054412501.png
conected buy a land cable to the router

chuck32

Guru
About the conection, i put 2 USB adaptors of USB 3.0 To Gigabit Ethernet, USB To Ethernet Adapter, View attachment 77282
This is most likely the culprit.

If you have the possibility to use NICs for the connection rather than USB adapters I would think this will improve speeds.

Eviva ED

Dabbler
okay then i will buy it and check if it could be the main problem. do you have any recomendations?

chuck32

Guru
I use fibre, sorry.

Have a look at the primer, maybe there's a recommendation

Eviva ED

Dabbler
perfect thanks you very much, tomorrow it will arrive and i will install it to see how it works

Eviva ED

Dabbler
Hello i got it and install it on the Nas now i have like this but if i disconnect the oldones it doesnt work becuase cant conect to internet View attachment 77305
igb0 and igb1 is the new ones

chuck32

Guru
Is the core UI so much different than scale? Is this the network section where you define your IPs, DCHP etc.? Will look up in the docs later

In addition to switching the physical connection you need to restore your network settings, i.e. enabling DHCP (you can't for ue0/1 then) or setting a static IP. Bear in mind that multiple interfaces must not be on th same subnet.

Edit: are you using both interfaces simultaneously but not in a LAGG?

Eviva ED

Dabbler
Im not sure what is better the core o the scale. I already fix the network. thats the speed on the Nas
1712143738337.png

its working now it goes so much faster. is not 360 but at least is no 5 mib
1712143900162.png

now if existe a way to speed up that transfer even more that could be awesome! because i have 2 internet cables conected and its like this
1712144444280.png

Last edited:

chuck32

Guru
If you have extended the simultaneously transfers and are hitting a limit, it may be that the storage provider limits the connection.

We are now at the point, where your NAS is hitting the speeds it should.
Given you can read as fast from your pool the only culprit are either fluctuations in your ISP Speed and the storage provider. From my perspective you should be set with ditching that USB dongles.