Intel X550-T2

Danpomeroy

Dabbler
Morning everyone,

I bought an Intel X550-T2 thinking it would be 'plug-and-play' with Core. It does looks like it's showing up in the Interfaces but the link-state is down. When I remove the card, those interfaces go away, plug it in, they are there. I also see them in the console when it's booting and the show in dmesg.

The cable I am using works when I plug it in to my existing nic and I can connect to the web interface when connected via that nic/cable combo.

One thing I did notice it the Intel X550-T2 doesn't show on my routers interface. I have an Amplifi Alien. I have tried multiple ports and have connected it to my (unmanaged) switch, all have the same results.

So, not sure where to go from here. I do have a Windows machine I can plug it in to. I was wondering if a firmware update would do it or ... ?

Thank you!

2021-10-22 08_12_22-Window.png

NugentS

MVP
First step - change the cable
You are plugging your cables into a 10Gb capable switch aren't you?
And yeah - test it plugged into windows

Danpomeroy

Dabbler
First step - change the cable
You are plugging your cables into a 10Gb capable switch aren't you?
And yeah - test it plugged into windows
  • I did try different cables. 6, 6A and 5E. All same results.
  • I have tried a 1G router, 1G switch, and 2.5G switch. I do not have access to a 10G switch and everything I have read says it should work with at least the 1G stuff.
  • I will try the Windows machine later.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
What happens when you connect the card to itself? If you don't get a link up on both ports when it is configured up, then the card or your cable is defective.

Knockoff Intel ethernet cards are a common thing.

Danpomeroy

Dabbler
What happens when you connect the card to itself? If you don't get a link up on both ports when it is configured up, then the card or your cable is defective.

Knockoff Intel ethernet cards are a common thing.
What should happen? I do get link lights when I plug one end of the cable to the router (or switch) and the other to either port.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Well, in theory, if you plug one port into the other, and "ifconfig <whatever> up" on both interfaces, then "ifconfig <whatever>" should show you link status indicating that it's up at the expected full 10G speed.

Danpomeroy

Dabbler
Well, in theory, if you plug one port into the other, and "ifconfig <whatever> up" on both interfaces, then "ifconfig <whatever>" should show you link status indicating that it's up at the expected full 10G speed.
ok, I will give that a try here in a bit and report back.

Danpomeroy

Dabbler
Do you have any updates?
OK. Sorry I never updated this. For me it turns out to be my 2.5Gb switch. I found this out by connecting it to my other switch and it worked, albeit at 1Gb. I was able to borrow another 10Gb card and switch from work and with all that, everything worked great. Unfortunately, I couldn't keep that stuff so for now, the card is sitting unused.