Intel x550-t1 on truenas core 12.0 slow performance with Asus RT-AX86U

Zakarumite

Cadet
Hi everyone,

First post here. I've had my Freenas, now Truenas Core NAS for some years now and can only say good things about it! I've actually expanded on it, added RAM and it keeps serving me extremely well!

One thing I figured I'd do is connect the NAS to my new RT-AX86U router (on the 2.5 Gbe port) with a decent NIC (Intel X550-T1).

The problem I'm seeing, is that the transfer speeds have slowed to a crawl since changing from the intel pro 1000 card I had before. I could easily top to 100 MB/sec. Now, the new intel card gives me more or less 30-35 MB/sec which I don't really get. In the Network/Interfaces configuration, I can see:

Active Media Subtype:
Unknown

That bothers me because it feels like it's not negotiating speed at 2.5 Gbps, which the card is supposed to be fully compatible too. It's connected to the router with a Cat 7 cable, I've also tried with a Cat6 cable and I get the exact same results.

Do you think I'm missing anything here? I also do have jumbo packets enabled on both ends.

Thanks!

1620926741081.png

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You don't need jumbo and you should disable it when debugging. Run an iperf test to verify speeds. Do the test both ways.

Zakarumite

Cadet
It looks like I'm getting close to 1 Gbps both ways, so that's ok with a 1 Gbps NIC on an endpoint accessing the NAS. What's trickier to test is, do I get 2.5 Gbps out of it? The only segment where it could run at that speed is between the router's 2.5 Gbps port and the NAS' intel NIC at 10 Gbps (downspeed at 2.5 to match the router's port).

Only way to test this I guess is to launch an iPerf from 2-3 workstations to the NAS at the same time and see what kind of results I get. If I'm anywhere upwards of 1 Gbps and close to 2-2.5, I guess everything's good.

Any other idea on how I could test it otherwise?

Thanks!

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
It looks like I'm getting close to 1 Gbps both ways, so that's ok with a 1 Gbps NIC on an endpoint accessing the NAS. What's trickier to test is, do I get 2.5 Gbps out of it? The only segment where it could run at that speed is between the router's 2.5 Gbps port and the NAS' intel NIC at 10 Gbps (downspeed at 2.5 to match the router's port).

Only way to test this I guess is to launch an iPerf from 2-3 workstations to the NAS at the same time and see what kind of results I get. If I'm anywhere upwards of 1 Gbps and close to 2-2.5, I guess everything's good.

Any other idea on how I could test it otherwise?

Thanks!
Try copying a file from the Nas to your desktop. What speeds do you get? You should use a larger file 5-10GB and possibly copy it twice to see how speeds change after the file has been cached.