Installing sysbench?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoboKaren

Contributor
I wanted to install sysbench so that I could compare my system numbers with the data from this site.

It looks like he was running everything within an Ubuntu vm, but I'd like to try to get closer to the metal.

Anyone have installation tips on how to install on FreeNAS? I suppose i could spin up a jail as an alternative.

RoboKaren

Contributor
You don't install things directly in FreeNAS.

You're right. .... but the only problem is that jails are deprecated in 9.10.2 and I don't want to install FreeNAS 10 on my working machine.

That doesn't leave with good in-machine testing options:

1. Jails: The only available one anymore is VirtualBox and I haven't had good experiences with running Ubuntu inside VB - especially in terms of sharing volumes. The most stable way I got volumes mounted was using SMB, but that invokes smbfs overhead on both the host and client.

2. bhyve: I currently have a running Ubuntu vm under bhyve for my crashplan. I could use it for sysbench, but again volumes from the host are mounted using smbfs and I'd be testing smbfs as much as I was testing anything.

I really want to run sysbench on the 'bare metal' if possible. Which would seem to imply running it on the FreeNAS / FreeBSD base system.

RoboKaren

Contributor
Jails are being deprecated in favor of containers in FreeNAS 10. Or that's what I understand from the recent updates.

If you've updated to 9.10, you'll notice that there aren't any jail templates anymore. :-(

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
What are you guys talking about?!

Jails are still in FreeNAS 9.10.x

Sigh.

RoboKaren

Contributor
In any case, I had an old jail lying around for denyhosts. I was able to install sysbench using these commands:

% sudo jexec denyhosts /bin/tcsh
# pkg update
# pkg upgrade
# pkg install sysbench

Status
Not open for further replies.