Installing Plex on 11.3-U3.1 kills network

vash2695

Cadet
I'm completely stumped on how this could be happening, but whenever I attempt to install the Plex plugin, before crossing 50% completion, my network dies. I have no internet or network access on any PC until I reboot my FreeNAS server. Before rebooting, Windows does think I have network access, but I cannot ping any IP address on the network successfully.

I am using two NICs on this machine. One for general access and one for a VM using PiHole, I do not know if this could be related.

My only two guesses here are either that the virtual interface that is being created is somehow being assigned the same MAC address as the router (insanely unlikely) or that the server is suddenly flooding my network with enough traffic to take everything down (also unlikely).

I just built another server recently, with nearly identical configuration, and everything installed fine.

Does anyone have any ideas?

vash2695

Cadet
Upon further testing, it is not Plex. Creating a jail under default settings also kills the network.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Can you describe the configuration of the 2 NICs?

vash2695

Cadet
Can you describe the configuration of the 2 NICs?
NIC 1 - statically assinged IP, no IPv6, no advanced options
NIC 2 - passed through directly to ubuntu VM

I am now attempting a different configuration by moving the VM over to NIC 1 and dedicating Plex to NIC 2. Trying to figure out how to get around VNET, as I believe that may be the culprit.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Why are you binding jails to a NIC that's passed through to a VM? NIC 2 shouldn't even be visible to FreeNAS if you're using PCI pass-through. All the VNET jails should use NIC 1.

vash2695

Cadet
Why are you binding jails to a NIC that's passed through to a VM? NIC 2 shouldn't even be visible to FreeNAS if you're using PCI pass-through. All the VNET jails should use NIC 1.

Well to be honest when I originally set up the VM I was fumbling in the dark a bit. I just managed to resolve the issue, though. For whatever reason, when the VM was dedicated to NIC 2, then any attempt to create a jail would kill the network. After moving the VM over to NIC 1, I retried installing the plugin and was successful. After installation was complete, I disabled DHCP on NIC 2 and set the VNET default interface of the Plex jail to NIC 2 and assigned it a static IP.

At the very least your initial mention of NIC configuration led me down this path, so thank you!

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Trying to figure out how to get around VNET, as I believe that may be the culprit.
Plex requires vnet so don't try to eliminate it.