Installing Latest Stable Version - GRUB Rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derian00

Cadet
Installing on a Dell Poweredge 1950 iii onto a lexar USB drive on the internal USB slot of the server goes fine. When I remove the installation drive from the server and attempt to boot to the drive I receive this;

GRUB loading..
Welcome to GRUB!

error: unknown filesystem.
Entering rescue mode...

Then just gives me the GRUB command line, this happened with two different installation medias on the latest stable version of freenas. Only happens in BIOS mode (server does not support UEFI)

gpsguy

Please provide detailed hardware specs per the forum rules in red at the top of the page. At this point, we don't know how much RAM you're using and whether you have a proper HBA or PERC model # XXX with hardware RAID.

Which version of FreeNAS are you using? 9.10.2 was just released last week. Some users have encountered issues with that version, so you might want to try 9.10.1-u4 instead. You can download it from: http://download.freenas.org/9.10/STABLE/

Derian00

Cadet
Please provide detailed hardware specs per the forum rules in red at the top of the page. At this point, we don't know how much RAM you're using and whether you have a proper HBA or PERC model # XXX with hardware RAID.

Which version of FreeNAS are you using? 9.10.2 was just released last week. Some users have encountered issues with that version, so you might want to try 9.10.1-u4 instead. You can download it from: http://download.freenas.org/9.10/STABLE/

I am not sure which version I am currently running but I will try the old version tomorrow. The PERC card should not be affecting this as I am using a thumbdrive as my bootable media for both installation and for running the OS (there are no drives in the slots at the time of attempting this). I have 8gb of ram upon first attempt and I also attempted with 16gb and 4gb with no improvements.

Status
Not open for further replies.